1976 Datsun 620 Pickup

Greetings all,

This is my first post and I have a laundry list of stuff I need for this project. Want to know anything about me, ask and I shall tell (within limits of course) :D

I found a salvage yard that is supposed to have 2 of them. Haven't heard back since it is Sunday, but this is the list of stuff I need:

Exterior:

Hood

Front left/right quarter panels

Front Running light panels

Windshield and weather striping, weather striping for rear window

Weather striping/seal for doors

Bed Corners (left/right); not sure if those are part of the bed or not

Tail light panels and tail lights (rear, left/right)

All 4 small side reflectors

Stock side mirrors

Antenna

muffler and piping (not sure if catalytic converter was on this vehicle)

Interior:

Dashboard (entire unit with plastics), Glove box, Ashtray (if not included with dash), Left/right vents

Tachometer (I have the speedometer/gas cluster)

Head Liner

Dome light

Floor carpeting

Rear view mirror

Door handles, covering (cardboard interior) for doors, latch plastic (both left/right)

So yeah... I need quiet a bit. Stuff in BOLD is priority. For right now I'm looking to replace the Hood and Dashboard first along with the weather striping and the windshield if possible. All the stock carburetor, vacuum hoses and other emission control stuff was cut and/or crimped, so anything engine related would be great... heck entire engine if you have one for parts, but current engine runs great :)

datsun1ma1.th.jpgdatsun2kj9.th.jpgdatsun3vx7.th.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

new/used, doesn't matter to me :)

I bought it for $700 bucks. The heater works and the engine runs great... So yeah, it needs some TLC. It is mostly cosmetic stuff atm. I the GF's brother can paint and has a shop setup for it. So once the body is straight and ready for paint, I plan to start from there. Not sure if I'll even get to it until spring.... but here is hoping right :)

That sig with the bat kinda freaks me out!

So the GF's brother has a paint shop set up. Doubt I'll be able to paint until spring, but I'm already thinking about the color. It looks like it was yellow last. The engine interior is all yellow as is under the headliner and everything that doesn't have primer on it.

Still looking for parts though. Hopefully the junkyard will mail be back today. But definitely let me know if anybody has anything they can part with for a descent price.

Edited by deadmonkey

I'm going to be swapping out beds this winter and I might be able to help on the - Bed Corners (left/right). Is this rear corners you are inquiring about ?

The corners are spot welded in so I'll be zaw zawing them from the panel sections. They seem to be in very good condition but I'll know more when it comes time to cut them off.

I ended up getting a hood, which is cool! It has a couple tiny dings, but I think I can massage those out. All the dashes there are toast. There were 4 Datsuns there, but I only got time to look at 3 of them. I also got a center floor console, grill with Datsun emblem and horn assembly, both not on my list. Stuff in green is still there and stuff I need to go back for, or have them pull for me.

The instrument cluster is there and in PERFECT condition... which I'm guessing is rare. I tried to remove it but I was scared to put much presure on it since it seemed like the washer know was holding it down still. I couldn't figure out how to get that knob off for the life of me.

I also picked up a relay box, Main resistor (at least I think it is a resistor... right next to the spark plug condenser) and air filter housing with what ever hoses were already attached.

The windshield there has one small rock chip at the top, right in front of the rear view mirror. I'm thinking a glass shop can fix that? I may just end up getting a replacement kit for the dash instead of getting an entire new one... not sure yet. Who ever had it last, tried to put a modern stereo in it and bent all the metal up where the radio should be.

Oh... and there are plenty of original headlights there if anybody needs them. I can grab them next time I go. All the headliners were trashed along with the side cardboard interior paneling. I also pulled the entire Wiring harness out if anybody needs one. I also need to grab a seat from one since the latch is in perfect working order and mine is not.

I drove the truck out there and was a little worried taking it out on the freeway, but it did just fine. Little loud since there isn't a headliner or floor mat. Not too impressed with the gas mileage! Something is defiantly not right since I think it got like 10 miles to the gallon. I put 5 gallons in it and my trip was a little bit more then 50 miles. Right now, the fuel pump is rigged up when the key is in anything other then the off position. I'm hoping the relay will fix this, but I really need to get working on the carburetor. Allot of hoses are crimped and bent over, vacuum lines cut and/or plugged... just a mess. I will probably be posting when I dive into the engine to pick the brains of people.

Updated List:

Greetings all,

Exterior:

Hood

Front left/right quarter panels

Front Running light panels

Windshield and weather striping, weather striping for rear window

Weather striping/seal for doors

Bed Corners (left/right); not sure if those are part of the bed or not

Tail light panels and tail lights (rear, left/right)

All 4 small side reflectors

Stock side mirrors

Antenna

muffler and piping (not sure if catalytic converter was on this vehicle)

Interior:

Dashboard (entire unit with plastics), Glove box, Ashtray Left/right vents

Head Liner

Dome light

Floor carpeting

Rear view mirror

Door handles, covering (cardboard interior) for doors, latch plastic (both left/right)

EDIT; apparently Strike out doesn't work on this forum? Stuff in green is still at the salvage yard and needs to be pulled

Edited by deadmonkey
  • 2 weeks later...

So I have been slowly getting stuff done to the truck.

I desperately need a dash, I'm more interested in the metal being intact then they dashpad. I have ordered a replacement pad... I jsut want a good metal dash part. Previous owner has murdered the stereo mount area.

I also need an Intake Manifold... anybody?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in Boise Idaho.

Well... I need allot really.

- I will need carpeting, which I will either do my self or order a kit for

- Dash plastic (infront of gauges and radio/heater/fan)

- Seal for windshield and rear window, along with windshield

- Washer fluid reservoir with pump

- Horn (come in a pair)

- Bucket seats at some point

- List goes on and on.

I have door weather seal, and wiring harness ordered. That is gonna be a weekend project.

I am still unsure how the gauges are supposed to be mounted, they are just sitting inside the dash console atm. The fuel readout is way off, not sure if that is the sending unit in the tank or what. Few bulbs and/or the plastic mounts are missing in the back of the gauge cluster. One of the circuit traces is burnt out and may have to either jumper or trace the board, or get a new one.

The ignition needs replaced, along with rewiring everything! I have no dome lights, the switches in the doors are rusted out

The cardboard/plasticl on the doors needs replaced or replaced with something that looks better. The weather stripping on either side of the roll down windows needs to be replaced. I don't have a headliner

... the list goes on and on :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi again, Haven't posted here in awhile.

I would like an intake manifold since one bolt for Carbs is stripped... if anybody has one that would be super.

I need an instrument cluster. I don't think the one in there is the proper one since I don't see where the thing is supposed to be bolted down. The speed is always 10mph off, maybe more at higher speeds. I am missing the dash plastic too, so is it supposed to connect to that? I am willing to trade if the one I have is for a different year. Somebody lemme know I'll get pictures posted. I can go buy a cheepo modern cluster from the salvage yard and retrofit it into this one if I need to but Not sure that is even doable. Has anybody here done that before?

If they aren't too expensive I still need windshield seals and rear window seals. I don't have new glass, but for the auto glass guys to fix it will cost me a bit more then I wanna pay.

Your instrument cluster screw onto the backside of the dsh plastic bezel. So post a picture so we can tell youi what you are missing.:D

And it might be easier for you to get a Heli-coil kit for the stripped threads in the intake manifold. I havent priced a kit recently, but i doubt it is more than a used manifold/shipping, and a new gasket to install it. Oh, and murphys law says that an exhaust bolt will break when doing the job.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.