5veinte1

Steering column question

Hi,

Does anyone know if the column from a 1978 620 will work on a 1970 521?  Long story, but I took mine apart and when I tried to get it back together it pushed out the cap (along with all of the fluid) and is not going back together well.  I didn't like how long the column was, and I would also like to find out when they became collapsible for safety reasons.  Thanks!

I did this on my 620 also.

The 720 has collapsible steering column.

IIRC there is a block with teeth on it that the sector shaft mates with. It needs to be centered on the worm gear (equal distance from each end) then the sector shaft engaged. If off to one side when steering, the steering over extends and punches out the plug.

If you're not familiar with the guts of the box, this vid may help clear things up a bit.  You should be able to see what Mike is talking about with the "centering".

• Like 1

Does anyone else just love when you look at an acronym and it just speaks to you?  I've been looking at datzenmike's post above all week trying to figure out IIRC and then I just looked at it now and BAM-If I Remember Correctly.  Jezuz I can't believe it took me that long!

• Like 2

They typically come up if you google them.....I can't tell you how many times I've had to do that!!!