Driveshaft yoke stuck in tranny!

sick620

long version .A little issue i'm having. 79 KC 620. My driveline got pushed too hard into the transmission, I'm on bags and when cruising around super low I was realizing that my driveline was binding into my transmission because my axel has about an inch +/-  of forward travel with the 2 link panhard bar setup im running. I knew I had to pull the driveline and get it shortened a bit, then one day i took it for a drive. Pulled up to the house, and it dumped all of its gear oil in driveway. Ok so now it was a priority to get it pulled/shortened and to get a new seal. 

short version. Well now I've been trying to pull my driveline, and to no avail. I've tried hammers, a chain hooked to a large rolling jack as a sort of dead blow hammer, pb blaster etc, and nothing. Yoke moves about an inch back and forth on splines and that is all.... yet to try a come along, or another truck hooked to it... wondering if anyone has ever experienced something like this maybe on a lowered truck or an abused off road rig. Any good ideas? 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah its pretty intense. 

It drives shifts etc fine. I've obviously not driven it much, sat for months when gear oil puked. but I recently moved and needed to move the truck. Drove it 2 hours with no problems. I ran it that day with bags all the way inflated for the entire drive in hopes that it may slowly work its self back out/loose. No luck. 

I've seen this. There is a bearing sleeve pressed in to the tailhousing that carries the outside of the yoke. I had a transmission where the yoke had a groove worn in it and it was binding up on that bearing. I got it out by sliding a bar through the u joint and beating the Hell out of it. I ended up pulling that bearing out through the seal. it's still on that driveshaft.

Seems like a good chance this same thing happened to you

• Like 2