I want bigger valves for this setup, right?

sneax

You should post a picture of the transmission. The 280z car gear box has the reverse lamp switch on the right just behind the clutch arm dust boot. I don't think there are any other switches as this was a n EFI engine. Speedometer cable is on the right rear of the transmission.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Contact Rivergate5speed.com for an adapter to hook your MGA speedo cable to the datsun 5-speed.  They can externally correct for your speedometer rate with a 90 degree adapter.  Their longer cable is a good option as well.  I think its an MGB overdrive cable.  I believe they share the same fittings as Datsun.

If you use an Ohm meter to test switches while shifting gears, you'll see what each switch does.  If you intend to use them, extend the wires before you put the transmission in place.   

I found that at high rpm, adding a second condenser at the coil helps with a stable distributor signal - you may want to try this.  Any automotive capacitor added to the - side of the coil will function the same.  

• Like 1

Anything with wire would generate current in it from the massive magnetic fields generated. If not connected to a load it should be ok. Starter might be fine, alternator I don't know. The body, hood and fenders might be enough to act as a Faraday cage. Depends how big the pulse is.

There's a good description in a book called Daybreak. The RR tracks get red hot. Every fence wire becomes molten, house wiring jumps out of the walls and sets fires. Any power transmission lines, streetlights, railings, bridges, pipelines anything that can act as a metal conductor gets hot. This was an extreme event (in theory) but even a small one could knock out delicate circuits, if not directly then from huge voltage surges..