yet another 620

scooter

well guys... heres my beast before i started rippin er apart...

n511268258_440062_2623.jpg

n511268258_173742_6712.jpg

n511268258_440063_2916.jpg

its a little different now... 3 inch blocks in the back and the bars loosened off... its got that mighty L16 in it with a weber.. the biggest downside to it though is its an automatic.

Unfortunatly a couple months ago i had to park it because cops are assholes and want it to get a provincial inspection.. Now i dont feel like fixin every little tiny thing on it so i'm lookin for a parts truck with valid papers running or not... anyone else in here from southern bc?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the small tires and the low gearing hurt even more... i hooked up a tach to see what it was revvin on the highway... i discovered at my usual cruise speed the poor thing was doin 5000rpm..

its not bad on the highway with the auto but it seems like a slug out of the hole for sure

'73 with auto means 4.88 gears. If you think it's slow off the line now I would'n change the gears. Oh wait, you're going with a KA24DE? Any standard tranny 620 from '74 through '78 will have 4.375. The KA should be able to handle a 4.11 as well.

• 3 weeks later...

allllllright some updates for ya... i was hopin to put a straight 6 in the beast but the motor never showed up..

ANYWAYS i just happened to score a set of SU carbs off a volvo a while back so i decided to fab up an intake for them.. its about half done allready, i just have to weld the flanges on.

I also scored myself a "matchbox" distributor so that will be goin in also.

the body work is slowly commin along so i hope i have it painted and rockin before the snow flies..... stay tuned for pics.

Glad the six is nix, better you don't try that. Got pictures of the manifold? (hint hint) I have a couple of old Volvo carbs and the fuel and float bowl is in the bottom... I never liked the external SU ones, they look cluttered. Well this takes care of the carbs now you need some cam for it.

well maybe i'll order a cam for it next payday haha...

i'll take some pics tomorrow as theyre not exactly in front of me.

its an L20 manifold that i cut up and i made flanges.. now i just gotta tig er' all up :)

body wise i got about 2 hours tiggin into both fenders, fixed the taillight housings as they were beat to shit.. But i think i'm going to dump the original tail lights and lay some caddy ones in there flat... lol i love working at a scrapyard

look at this shit...

n511268258_938442_1372.jpg

theres only a couple issues right now.. one linkage to the carbs gonna be shorter than the other, and the bowl under the front carb is close to exaust manifold. SO i'm going to make some heat shields and wrap up the manifold.. that should keep the heat away..

i was shocked when i pulled off the stock intake manifold to see how awefully mismatched the intake ports were.. the stock intake is about 3/8 inch smaller diameter than the head ports.. which match up really well to my manifold made out of an l20 intake.

n511268258_938444_1828.jpg

i have a real good feeling that the carbs are a tad too big for the motor (its an L16) but at least if they work itll run till i put together an L20b... the motor theyre off was a 2 liter volvo... so it should be fairly close...

n511268258_938443_1589.jpg

tomorrow i'll take a picture of the inside of the manifolds as i gotta take em all apart again so i can put some actual gaskets in there.. and heat shields.. and do some other shit.. i should have it running tomorrow though :D

oh and i have one of those elephant oil caps too :fu:

look at this shit...

n511268258_938442_1372.jpg

theres only a couple issues right now.. one linkage to the carbs gonna be shorter than the other, and the bowl under the front carb is close to exaust manifold. SO i'm going to make some heat shields and wrap up the manifold.. that should keep the heat away..

i was shocked when i pulled off the stock intake manifold to see how awefully mismatched the intake ports were.. the stock intake is about 3/8 inch smaller diameter than the head ports.. which match up really well to my manifold made out of an l20 intake.

n511268258_938444_1828.jpg

i have a real good feeling that the carbs are a tad too big for the motor (its an L16) but at least if they work itll run till i put together an L20b... the motor theyre off was a 2 liter volvo... so it should be fairly close...

n511268258_938443_1589.jpg

tomorrow i'll take a picture of the inside of the manifolds as i gotta take em all apart again so i can put some actual gaskets in there.. and heat shields.. and do some other shit.. i should have it running tomorrow though :D

oh and i have one of those elephant oil caps too :fu:

Nice intakes, will you run a balance tube between them? What about distributor vacuum advance? Those look like the ones I have with float in the bottom, much neater looking, but near the heat. I don't think they are too big but you will likely have to change the needles to tune the mixture. But once you get it dialed in you're good. The SU is a constant velocity carb, this means when you jam the throttle open it's not like a regular carb that will suddenly gulp a huge amount of air and stumble. It has no accelerator pump but instead changes the venturi size in relation to air flow through it. They are the coolest carb to work on.

• 4 weeks later...

so its been a bit here as i've been busy as fuck lately... anyways..

i finally got all the linkage together along with everything else under the hood... what great fun that was... After a little tweaking of the carbs the mighty L16 does smokeshows :D:D:D:D

i'm happy as the driveability is about the same as the weber, except with no dead spot.. a little more low end torque and it sure comes alive now at higher rpm... Now all i need is a damn 4 speed and a cam!:blink: