Valve Cover Gasket Part Number? - L20B Eninge

Mike Phillips

Hi all,

Going to take the valve cover off to locate TDC on the firing stroke for Number 1 piston and want to get a new gasket and need a part number.

I don't know what car or truck this engine came out of so when I tell the NAPA counter person what I'm looking for they ask me for the vehicle type and year which I don't know and that's as far as we get.

Also want to replace the compression washers for the Banjo fittings for the cooling lines on the automatic tranny if anyone knows the part number for that.

thanks,

Mike

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dude your on a datsun site. you should list your datsun in your profile.

Sorry about that, when I joined I didn't own the Datsun truck I have now, I was looking for one and within days of joining purchased the truck.

I will update.

:)

***Update***

Stuck a plastic drinking straw in Number ! spark plug hole and rotated engine over until straw maxed out in outward movement and timing marks on lower pully were in the area of where the timing mark tab would be located on the passenger side.

Noted position of rotor in distributor and installed spark plugs in the correct firing order.

Turned key and engine tried to start one time. Tried a couple more times with starting fluid and nothing happening.

Held onto spark plug with wire attached and turned motor over and no spark. Appears the points were good for one last fire.

Replaced points with used set out of old engine, (filed clean and lubed), guessed at point gap, assembled and tested.

Engine fired right up. Got out timing light and since I have no timing mark tab I removed vacuum hose and guessed at timing. Sounds good and so far runs good. Will order a timing mark tab and probably order a Pertronix Ignitor instead of messing with points and condenser.

Thank you to everyone for their help with this and A+ on the online video, very informative. Hope I won't need to watch it in the future as I hope this engine just keeps chugging along.

Fingers crossed.

:)