Ka24de

BigD

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm asking questions does anyone know what year model they made the pick up ka24e. Obviously I want to find the latest model with the least mileage I can get so I don't know what model that would be though if anyone can shed some light on that thanks

Dude! READ!

That's not a different intake. That's the D-21 Hardbody KA24E intake minus the KA24E throttle body. An adapter was made and bolted on so a carb would fit. The truck KA24DE is similar.

The car (240sx KA24E and DE) use a much different intake that won't take a carb.

As someone who is currently doing a KA swap in my '85 here is my recommendation..

You're gonna need a few things.

First and foremost if you use a KA24E your life is gonna be a lot easier - pull from a D21 hardbody and fab up some engine mounts or find adjustable ones.

If you really want to do a KA24DE build you're going to need both a KA24DE from a 240sx and at least an oil pan from the KA24E from that D21.

You will need a wiring box, different fuel pump, engine mounts, preferably a CAI (cold air intake) and a lot of time.

We can give you advise but you're gonna need a game plan as to what you want to do.

For more research into the topic of a DE with a rear sump configuration read the info in these threads.  The Ratsun one isn't too in depth but, the 240sxforums thread has WAY more info in it after you sift through the bs.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/56198-ka24de-head-on-a-ka24e-block/

http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/ka24de-ka24e/117548-frankenstein-swap.html

Bottomline is that the DE in a Frontier essentially uses a single cam block, so therefore it's why a Frontier DE head and front cover works on the E block and has the passages on both the head and front cover that line up.  This head swap works on a 240sx E block as well but that serves little to no purpose for a swap into a 720 that needs a rear sump configuration but would be helpful to those with E's in their 510's.

I have as yet not had time to verify all this info firsthand in the real world but I have spoken to many people that I trust on the topic and feel it is accurate.  Currently I have a DE from a 240sx on a stand that I had intended to swap into my 720 but I keep putting it off due to other more pressing issues of life.  I also have a full D21 KAE drivetrain that's going into my other 720 but again, been on hold for awhile.  Needless to say, I would think with two 720's and two D21's as my projects, I've done quite a bit of research into this topic trying to make my life easier in regards to a DE into a 720 or a D21.

The one area I have not done much research into yet is the 240sx intake to Frontier head.  I have heard of it being done but IIRC there is a passage that doesn't quite line up and needs some fuckery, I.E. some JB Weld magic, to allow the swap to happen and seal correctly.  Again, don't quote me on that as I said I haven't really researched very in depth on that topic.