brake drum removal

sdsurf

I have tried backing the adjusters out and banging on the drum with no luck. I cannot get the damn thing to move. Granted they have been on since at least '92 and still spin but what is the trick to getting the drum off???

HELP :mad: and :confused:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea what your working on but on my 510 and my 720 their is threaded holes in the drums for removal. just take your standard 8mm 1.25 pitch bolt, and start tightening them, make sure your alternating between each turn and they come right off. very smart thinking on them nissan guys!

Beat the drum with a hammer. I mean fuckin really hit the damn thing. Once the center section breaks free, THEN use the jacking bolts jesusno2 suggest. Otherwise you could strip out the threads once you do get it loose. It's rusted in the center. You can't hurt the drum.

I have no idea what your working on but on my 510 and my 720 their is threaded holes in the drums for removal. just take your standard 8mm 1.25 pitch bolt, and start tightening them, make sure your alternating between each turn and they come right off. very smart thinking on them nissan guys!

Ok I am on a '70 521 and I have no idea where these bolts are. Do you have a pic?

funny when i got my 510 the rear breaks were rusted solid i drug it on a trailer with a winch. got it home jacked up the rear end, took the tires off of it smacked the drums a few times and then started cranking down on the bolts threaded into those very holes were talking about. man when those drums came off so did the rest of the brakes with it it was so rusted up it looked like it was sitting submerged in salt water.

One of the rear brake shoes had separated on my 510 when I got it. I had to push it out of the driveway it was in for the tow truck guy (long story), by myself with a stuck wheel. That was no fun. When I got the drum off, all the guts came with it too.

Have you beat the shit out of the drum with a hammer until it is broken loose from the center?

There are no screws, there are two holes, M8 I believe, that you thread bolts into to jack the drum off the shoes.

These are on the face of the drum because all i see are the lug studs. no holes...

510 wagon and sedan rear brakes are the same. Parts are easy and cheap.

so are discs just some more work involved besides i've been having a hell of a time finding 510 stuff for my wagon if i dont gotta hunt for brake parts its just one less thing to worry about.

sdsurf

It's been a long time since i've had a 521 i'm not 100% sure their is threaded holes on those drums maybe their full of grime?? maybe hit em with a wire brush or something their usually pretty easy to notice. i chucked my drums or id go take a picture. their might even be just one hole now that i think about it?? its been a while since i had to remove any.

Sounds like you don't have them for some reason. They have been on every datto I have worked on. Get that hammer out and start hitting it. It will come off by smacking it with a hammer, I promise. Hit it HARD! Mine came off this way and they were locked up!

Sounds like you don't have them for some reason. They have been on every datto I have worked on. Get that hammer out and start hitting it. It will come off by smacking it with a hammer, I promise. Hit it HARD! Mine came off this way and they were locked up!

ok... i will try at first light

Mike try spraying some PB blaster in the center of the drum where it meets the raised part of the drum then start hitting it with your hammer/mini sledge. The 620 drums are easy..remove 2 of the tailgate bolts..apply a bit of grease..insert into drum & tighten slowly..drum comes off.

Squirt some penetrating oil on the drum around the axle,and start swinging that hammer.I took me a few tries to get mine off,over a period of a couple of days.My drums were cracked in the end and had to buy new ones.You could also try a little heat with a torch not too much though,that would make them come off easier.

Heh I wrote a thread about this not too long ago. Same problem, and my 521 had no extra holes for threading bolts either. I tried whacking it with a regular hammer to no result but hurt ear drums.

Success starts in post# 16 of this thread here: http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=6097

PB blast it, stuff your ears w/ cotton balls (really I was holding back cause it was so loud w/o earplugs) Then get a HUGE hammer. No rinky dink framing hammer here. 3 pounds. Put the lugs on a bit to protect the threads, and POUND that sombitch! A nice smack in the center followed by hitting it around the edge.

I thought mine would never come off, but they did!

Edited by fisch

good going, my answer is always use a bigger hammer. a regular hammer sometimes just doesn't cut it. 3 or 4 pounder is what everybody should have especially if you want to get off a ball joint or drums. and if you dont have a big hammer use a axe if you have one.

on rear drums hit the center and they jump right off.

Yeah...way more work than it ought to be.

Threaded holes = less time, less pain in the as(if I would say that:rolleyes:) and less ringing in the ears!

Way to go man...I need to do the same thing. Not looking forward to it.

I have all new drums,shoes and hardware that I bought from a guy for 50 bucks!:blink: