Stock Radio/Cassette?

thegreencar

Does anyone know if Datsun ever had an cassette deck option on their stereos for the 510? I'm sure one would be pretty expensive on ebay, but i like the way the stock radios look. Knobs are way cooler than buttons! We used to have a radio in the car, but it go stolen on a trip to Olivera St. in los Angeles.

Alternatively, is there a way to hook up and auxilary cable to a stock radio? like solder in a plug and switch to change the source from antenna to cable?

Thanks,

Michael, you local cassette head.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not on the 510 510. The late, A10 version 510 ('78-81) had an add-on tape deck dealer option that mounted in the console. With the early 510 they went out of production before "Compact Cassettes" were the norm, but at the early part of 8-track tape popularity.

To rewire the original, it'd more be a "re-gut". The stock radio is a true radio reciever- has no aux source. It might be possible to separate the radio feed to the onboard amp circuit but being a PCB you'd more likely do damage and have a non-operational AM radio.

Besides, switching from antenna to cable in a car would require a very, very LONG cable....

Around 1970 Pioneer started selling cassette radios. Some dealers offered them, most folks just went to the electronics store and swapped them in themselves for half the price. Look in the JY for any 1970 era car, domestic or imported. One of them may have a cassette receiver. It might even work!

http://www.customautosounds.com/classic/secret.html

or take one of the "classic" 2 knobbers and get a datsun radio sticker on ebay, I just recently found them, it goes over the one on the radios they sell... right on top or replace the "chevy" (or whatever) sticker.

Typically the universal "old style radios" sold for Volkswagen and Porsche come

without ID stickers [may be a copyright issue?].

I have a late 70's early 80's era "Datsun" labelled am/fm cassette deck, but, it died on me. To replace it, I'd just want a "2 knobber" so I can have fm as well as am radio in the car. I don't want to hack up my radio bezel any more than it already has been. I've seen some cheap am/fm cassette "2 knobbers" on ebay for $39.99, but, it has a aux in jack for a mp3 or some such input. Only thing is though is you're limited to 2 channels with 7 watts per side. I guess that'd be OK for me and it'd sure be a step up from the stock am radio I'm listening to now.

No bull I just bought one for 50 buxs! Here was the link... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=220298076485 There is another for starting at 9.99. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kenwood-KRC-2006-AM-FM-Cassette-Shaft-New-Facepl-Man_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1406Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem260304602980QQitemZ260304602980 The reason I bought it was this.... original holes.... Buy an Ipod nano. Ipod nano car charger. Car cd, mp3/tape adapter... One cool system with out hacking shit up....

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my cheap solution, a Dual XC4100 AM/FM Cassette deck with aux in for an MP3 player. It's a 2 post deck so I didn't have to cut my 69 radio bezel any more than it was for the old, crapped out deck I took out and I can play MP3's now! It's pretty low end, no tone control even and only comes with 2 channel stereo; you can hook up an amp to the the thing though, it's pre wired for it. It's cheap though, $22.49 plus shipping off of Ebay. I don't think anyone will want to steal it either!

Dual_XC4100_AMFM_Cassette_1.jpg

Dual_XC4100_AMFM_Cassette_2.jpg