More 620 KC fuel capacity - anybody ever installed a 720 KC tank in a 620 KC?

BarryA

I'd like to get more fuel capacity for the 79 KC, but nobody makes oversize aftermarket tanks for 'em anymore (at least I can't find anyone who does) and several hundred dollars for a custom tank isn't in the budget.

720 tanks mount on the passenger side of the frame in pretty much the same location as the 620's, but have quite a bit more capacity (15.7 gallons for 2wd, 19 for 4wd - 720 tanks have a section that extends forward under the cab floor that the 620 doesn't have). Even if a good used one can't be found, they're available brand new from GasTanks.com for about $180, so if it can be made to fit, even a new 720 KC tank would be a much lower cost solution than a custom tank.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a long box '82 tank on my '78 but the body is lifted 4" and the tank lowered 4" so this won't fit. I would think the 4X4 standard wheel base or KC would be the largest, (15 7/8 US gal) that can be made to fit.

There are 6 different tanks for the 720's standard wheel base, long wheel base and long wheel base KC. 3 for 2wd and diesel, and 3 for 4X4s. The top half of the 4X4 tanks are identical to their 2wd counterparts and are deeper for extra capacity.

4X4 tank capacities:

Standard wheel base.......... 15 7/8 US gal..... 13 1/4 Imp gal...... 60 liters.

Long wheel base KC........... 15 7/8 US gal.... 13 1/4 Imp gal...... 60 liters

Long wheel base................ 19 7/8 US gal... 16 1/2 Imp gal..... 75 liters (2wd tanks are about 2.2 US gal smaller)

The front and back 720 tank mounts are on the frame. For some weird reason the 620s are on the box????

Edited by datzenmike

Not all 620s are on the bed. My '78 and '79 are mounted to the frame, which was normal for those 2 years. '72-76 are mounted to the bed. Since I don't have a '77 I can't recall where those were, but I'd make a pretty good guess the move to the frame came with the '78 model year frame changes.