Hood Flies Open driving down highway in my 74 620

EXPLANATION:  Hook Sawing into Latch: 

In my pics, it looks like the safety hook was "sawing" into the latch on the core support.  This is caused by the hood torsional flutter (is it actual aerodynamic flutter?  possibly?)  due to no bumpers.  The hood pivots on the post during flutter, and since the hook is offset from the post, there is a small up and down notion during flap.  This also wears out the hook pivot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so here are the pictures of my set up.  I am using the upper latch from ebay Mexico with the stock 510 lower.  I would have used the mexico lower but the release arm was too long.  I could have slotted the mounting holes, but the radiator support was already painted. 

image_zpscg7u3nyd.jpg

image_zpsna8uy2hy.jpg

image_zpsucedlsta.jpg

image_zpseypmdovj.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, Trophy24, those are some mighty fine pics!

I'm a little confused as to what your vehicle is and exactly what parts are in the pics:

• Is the vehicle a 620 or a 510?
  • The "stock 510 lower" - that would be the mechanism bolted to the core support?
  • "release arm too long" - is this the arm on the lower mechanism the release cable connects to?

The latch looks very good and the barb alignment is perfect.

Did you notice if the springs (pop up spring, and safety hook returns) were stronger?

I see that the lower latch ramp that the hook barb engages is solid whereas mine is a thing strip that conceivably could be ripped through.  Pics of the Mexican latch have this slot cut behind the ramp resulting in this "strip" just like mine.  Your lower latch appears to be new and does not have this slot.  The 1200 pre and post recall both have this slot.  So where did you get this new 510 lower?  - or is it a refinished original part?

Ok hopefully this will help some

Car = 69 510

Lower latch (on the radiator support) came on the car when I bought it. It has been blasted, etched and painted.

The release arm is attached to the cable and hit the rear of the radiator support preventing operation. My only option was to use the stock part. I did rob the spring for it tho. The secondary latch has two springs instead of just one like the stock part. They seemed the same size but twice as many. The top spring that pops the hood up seems plenty strong bI like the quality and would buy again

I posted this info because the listing shows multiple applications