U60 shaved head

Hix1985

I need some help on a U60 head that I'm thinking of buying that has been shaved, the head is 4.243 thick at the center and varies no more than 3 thousandths from that at either end. 4.240 rear and 4.244 front.

Is this head still ok to use?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are thinking of running this on an L16 it will drop  your compression to 7.3... not a good idea. It's made for an L18 or L20B

U60 is the same as a U67 (just earlier model) isn't it Hainz??? Square port, I'm pretty sure..

Stock head thickness is 4.248" I believe. 

I'm on putting it on to a L20b, Got z22 crank ordering ka24e pistons off ebay, and just needed the head to finish it out. Then the little things like head gasket, I think a Z24 water pump,manifold, carbs you know the little stuff. :blush:  

I could be wrong but i thought i read somewhere that u60 head is rare and if the head was shaved at 2.4 as he stated, is it okay to use 2 gaskets? And since it will drop his compression, will it b good for turbo set up. Im learning too.

never heard of 2 gaskets

L20b block.? KA pistons are what 87mm? then OK if more then that its. Use a L series head gaskets is going to be in the bore unless you use a Z series gasket

Why not get a Z22/24 block

KA piston are 89mm, I have seen on here and other places people had made L series head gasket for 89mm bore.  Thats how you get the LZ2.3 big bore.  I live in Ohio and if you find z22 block they want way to much for it. like $400plus just for the block crazy  :sick:

I need some help on a U60 head that I'm thinking of buying that has been shaved, the head is 4.243 thick at the center and varies no more than 3 thousandths from that at either end. 4.240 rear and 4.244 front.

Is this head still ok to use?

I could be wrong but i thought i read somewhere that u60 head is rare and if the head was shaved at 2.4 as he stated, is it okay to use 2 gaskets? And since it will drop his compression, will it b good for turbo set up. Im learning too.

He said 4.240 and 4.244 so barely 0.008" at the #4 cylinder down to 0.004" on the front. The LZ23 made with KA24E pistons has a compression of around 9.9 so he has plenty. 

I'm not a fan of low compression turbo engines. Unless boosting all the time it's a low compression engine.

With 9.9 you can carve out some around the valves to unshroud them.

He said 4.240 and 4.244 so barely 0.008" at the #4 cylinder down to 0.004" on the front. The LZ23 made with KA24E pistons has a compression of around 9.9 so he has plenty. 

I'm not a fan of low compression turbo engines. Unless boosting all the time it's a low compression engine.

With 9.9 you can carve out some around the valves to unshroud them.

Hey Mike to get the 9.9 compression is that with a 1.2mm gasket?

Yes. One point two is the crushed gasket thickness. Z22 crank, Z22 or L20B rods and KA24E pistons with an open chamber 45.3cc head. With 9.9 feel free to do a little combustion chamber grinding to unshroud around the valves.

Check it. The 'fire ring' must not be protruding into the combustion chamber or it will erode away and fail. 

You can use a Z24 and add several holes using your old L20B gasket. Trim the front off that seals the timing cover and use the old one.

Use a Z24 gasket and trim the front to fit the cover, also depending on the gasket (some are different) you may need to punch a water coolant hole in the rear of the gasket. Use a L20B gasket as a comparison to help you figure out which holes need to be cut.

For punching holes, I use a gasket punch, or you can make one by sharpening the end of a small piece of tubing. For the trimming of the front of the gasket, I use tin snips.

Apply lots of grey or black (right stuff) silicone to the gasket surfaces on the front where the head meets the front cover.