whats your running temp?

rusty510

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gauge or sender is probably suspect. While 220 is possible in a pressurized system it's unlikely as you would have severe pinging problems and the rad cap would vent coolant.

What gauge are you using? If a stock gauge they don't read in real numbers that mean anything. They run in a usual range that you get used to and only notice there may be something wrong when it strays out of that range.

What fan: stock, clutch, electric.

Before you remove the gauge and sender and test in boiling water to check it's accuracy, change the thermostat. They're cheap and it's easy to do and not worth the bother to check, just put in a new one.

If you have an electric fan check that it comes on.

If you have a clutch fan try turning it by hand. It will turn with effort and will not spin freely.

Edited by datzenmike

i have a new radiator, water pump, 180deg thermostat, new cap , new top hose, and a new gauge/ sensor combo. i believe the reading to be correct because when it reads 180 i can feel the thermostat open. ill check the lower hose. it doesnt ping though, however it is running rich.

ill fill up the overflow reservoir and in a couple weeks of normal driving it will be empty and the radiator will be low. but i dont see any leaks?

Edited by datzenmike
i have a new radiator, water pump, 180deg thermostat, new cap , new top hose, and a new gauge/ sensor combo. i believe the reading to be correct because when it reads 180 i can feel the thermostat open. ill check the lower hose. it doesnt ping though, however it is running rich.

ill fill up the overflow resivor(sp?) and in a couple weeks of normal driving it will be empty and the radiator will be low. but i dont see any leaks?

b b b blown headgasket?

as far as the blown head gasket i hope not, but i should proly check into that.

i dont know where my timing is set, should check that too. it should be at stock specs cause i havent messed with it. but i know my ignition timing is a little retarded, ill advance that a little and see what happens.

the guage i am using is an aftermarket one i picked up at the parts store, i think it is a sunpro or something like that. and it came with a new sensor too.

ive been running just water cause i had to flush the system like ten times when i found out my old radiator was clogged so ive been running water and drain/refilling it periodically to clean it all out. but i think it may just be turning to steam and leaving the system. but then again it wouldnt be evaporating if it wasnt running so hot.:mad:

im going to check out the things i mentioned and get back to you guys. any other sudjestions is always helpful. thanks alot guys.

Run it with a full rad and the cap off. Rev it up a few times and watch the rad water. If there is a compression leak into the cooling system the bubbles will work their way to the rad cap opening. You may notice a gas smell inside the rad too.

Does the rad water in the upper hose get hot in a reasonable time or not? If not the thermostat is stuck... replace it.

Does it boil over at idle? If so:

Is the water that is pushed out of the rad super hot and steamy or is it just warm? If warm or even cold the thermostat is stuck and the expanding steam can't get out through the upper rad hose and pushes out the lower hose and expels cool rad water ahead of it. Replace the thermostat.