Datsun l18 engine rebuild

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. They are an engine shop local to me. I've used their engine kits without complaint and they are the shop who does all my engine machining. I keep going back to them.

I think 4perrev just barely ordered some stuff from them. Hopefully he will post a review.

I am going to rebuild my l18 and I found this site online that says that have everything anyone heard of them?

http://www.cleggengine.com/nissan-1-8l-l18-610-620-710-sohc-8v-73-74-engine-rebuild-kits.html

Definitely over bore your block and get the next oversize piston and ring set.

You would have to get the 280zx kit and have 2 left over pistons/rings/rod and main bearings.. Head gasket wouldn't work.

And if doing that, go highest oversize on the flattops. I checked they go 0.040" that 1mm so 87mm.

Stock is going to have at least some cylinder wear. Yes if not excessive you can hone and run softer iron rings, but if you want a new engine have it over bored so the cylinders are perfect and you can run a chrome ring. 

Call them. They will assemble custom kits for you. While I won't guarantee it, you likely can get your engine kit with those flat tops. Also likely other upgrades like ka24 oil pump or z24 fan clutched water pump.

Shopping list

280z (0.040 over) 87mm flattop/ringss................. qty. 4 of everything (was it the z or zx?)

L18 gasket and seal set ..................................................... qty. 1 

L4 cylinder main and rod bearing set................... qty. 1