New to me Nissan 720 4x4. Any guides as how to pull the engine out of this?

DoesItFit

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably head gasket... about $30, have the head plained another $30, 4-5 hres work and it will likely still run. If it threw a rod out the side just ignore me.

Cut that roll bar out and you'll have a nice comfortable truck

Probably head gasket... about $30, have the head plained another $30, 4-5 hres work and it will likely still run. If it threw a rod out the side just ignore me.

Cut that roll bar out and you'll have a nice comfortable truck

The engine is seized. An RB20 is already laying in the shop awaiting to be installed. The roll bar might come in handy if this thing races again. It's also not that bad. It also had a racing seat and 5 point harness. 

RB20 won't fit. You can make the truck fit it but depends what you want. RB20 tow vehicle???? KA will work and it fits. Really impressive is a VG30. Roll bar is only 'not bad' if you really need it, otherwise Dukes of Hazzard pain in the ass.

• Like 1

RB20 won't fit. You can make the truck fit it but depends what you want. RB20 tow vehicle???? KA will work and it fits. Really impressive is a VG30. Roll bar is only 'not bad' if you really need it, otherwise Dukes of Hazzard pain in the ass.

Crap. I was told previously that the RB20 pretty much bolts right up. The only thing i was told to watch out for is the engine to transmission bolting up, and that the worst case scenario is I have to drill an extra hole or two. Definitely noted. Thank you. 

Ummmm, unless you are trolling us, it's clearly much longer than a z24. There are a couple of rb 720s, but they all involved major surgery.

Rb20 seems like an odd choice for a tow motor. Relatively expensive to work on because all the parts have to be imported. It was never sold in the US.

Much better choice is a VG30/33. Millions of them in junkyards everywhere, along with transmissions that can handle the stress of towing.

Vgs can be built as carb engines if you source a distributor and an intake manifold. Otherwise, expect to do the work to convert to fuel injection (which the rb will require anyway)

• Like 1

Ummmm, unless you are trolling us, it's clearly much longer than a z24. There are a couple of rb 720s, but they all involved major surgery.

Rb20 seems like an odd choice for a tow motor. Relatively expensive to work on because all the parts have to be imported. It was never sold in the US.

Much better choice is a VG30/33. Millions of them in junkyards everywhere, along with transmissions that can handle the stress of towing.

Vgs can be built as carb engines if you source a distributor and an intake manifold. Otherwise, expect to do the work to convert to fuel injection (which the rb will require anyway)

Trolling is absolutely something I'm not doing. This truck belonged to my friend until he let a buddy borrow it who didn't watch the gauges and ran the thing hot until it literally seized on him. He read up somewhere that the RB fits, so he ordered one. Now he doesn't have enough time on his hands to fix it up, and told me that if I fix the truck, it's mine. I should probably rephrase the towing aspect. These would be extremely rare 30 minute tows at maximum. You can even disregard the tow portion probably.

How much fabrication would be required to mount a vg motor and transmission?

I unfortunately don't know much about this truck, and only volunteered to fix it up a week ago. The only knowledge I have so far is everything I've said in this thread.

Vg still takes custom or modified motor mounts and trans mount.

If you haven't ever taken on a major engine swap, and insist on doing one, I would recommend going with a ka24e from a 90s. They put down decent torque and fit with minimal modifications.

Best start would be to do as datzen Mike suggested and get the head machined and replace the head gasket. Then go from there.

I love 720s so I'm definately not against going all out on one, but I would start small and build up to it.

Vg still takes custom or modified motor mounts and trans mount.

If you haven't ever taken on a major engine swap, and insist on doing one, I would recommend going with a ka24e from a 90s. They put down decent torque and fit with minimal modifications.

Best start would be to do as datzen Mike suggested and get the head machined and replace the head gasket. Then go from there.

I love 720s so I'm definately not against going all out on one, but I would start small and build up to it.

Thank you!

The RB series are 6 cylinders long. Maybe your friend got mixed up with a KA engine. They are also 4 cylinder and they will bolt up to your transmission. Maybe 40% more power, EFI. lots of them in junk yards, parts at all auto stores, lots of after market support.

Are you looking for more power or just trying to get it going again? The cheapest option would be to just find another z series motor, they're great for towing and even though they don't wind up like an L motor, they'll definitely get the job done. Then you don't have to deal with all the wiring or finding another trans, making a custom driveline and mounts. I put 4.11 gears in the rear of my 720 with a Weber and it's surprisingly quick. A friend of mine with a 720 had a gooseneck hitch in his bed and used to tow a 21 foot camp trailer about 30 miles back and forth a few times a month.

The ka will bolt up to your 720 trans, but it'll most likely go out if you try to race it, which either means get yourself a couple of those, or find a ka trans and get a custom driveline. VG you'll need custom mounts, custom driveline, and again if you're racing then probably a beefier axle with a LSD.

• Like 1

Are you looking for more power or just trying to get it going again? The cheapest option would be to just find another z series motor, they're great for towing and even though they don't wind up like an L motor, they'll definitely get the job done. Then you don't have to deal with all the wiring or finding another trans, making a custom driveline and mounts. I put 4.11 gears in the rear of my 720 with a Weber and it's surprisingly quick. A friend of mine with a 720 had a gooseneck hitch in his bed and used to tow a 21 foot camp trailer about 30 miles back and forth a few times a month.

The ka will bolt up to your 720 trans, but it'll most likely go out if you try to race it, which either means get yourself a couple of those, or find a ka trans and get a custom driveline. VG you'll need custom mounts, custom driveline, and again if you're racing then probably a beefier axle with a LSD.

Mostly just get it going again. I have a low/small car (a Honda Fit), so when a truck was offered to me I jumped on that offer as fast as I could. I'm going to go and check out the truck fully tomorrow, will update when I find out something new.