SD22 or KA24E

240dx

Picking up a 1982 4x4 720.

It has the stock Z22 in OK shape. I really don't like carbs so I will be swapping it out before next winter.

Currently I have a KA24E swapped 2wd 720 and I love it and I might do the same to the 4x4.

But I also really like diesels - I don't know much about the SD22 though or how they run.

Can anybody give me some insight if this would be a feasible swap? would it be easy? What is involved switching to diesel? Do they run reliably?

Or should I just stick with the safe KA24E from a 240sx ?

Any opinions and why?

Thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Both swaps are harder in the 4x4. Diff clearance means modifying oil pans. The sd22 was never offered in 4x4, so its a completely custom built pan. The d21 4x4 pan might be close but still might need some work to clear.

The sd series of engines aren't really all that impressive. They are also uncommon and parts can be hard to come by. If I were doing a diesel swap, I would use a Mercedes Benz om617 or a vw tdi mated to a Toyota transmission.

If your used to KA power, your not going to like the SD22 or even the SD25, the SD22 has the torque of an L20b starting out, but it has the HP of a stock J13 on the hiway, I just don't believe that the SD22 has the power to move a heavy 4X4 down the hiway at 70mph, and when you come to even a slight hill you will be FLOORED and losing speed fast, if the hill has a steep enough grade you will eventually end up in 2nd gear, maybe 3rd gear and be wondering what you were thinking when you installed this engine.

The SD22 diesel engine is great for around the town driving, it gets good fuel mileage(25mpg), it even gets great mileage on the hiway going 50/55mph(35+mpg), but if you want to go any faster, you will be getting 30mpg or less, and you will likely be floored a lot.