I need help

Guest 77ratsun

Guest 77ratsun

I need help with my truck, ive tried almost everything but can't seem to get it started, I've timed it, I've checked compression, it sparks but its not a very good spark. If anyone lives near mt. Vernon Washington and wants to come take a look at it please message me! I have a big heated shop if that helps lol

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1.  Line up your ignition rotor to the cap terminal that has the #1 plug wire (front cylinder).  

2.  Rotate the engine to about 15 degrees BTDC, so the mark on the crank pulley is CCW from the timing marks when you look at it from the front.  

3.  Remove the #1 spark plug, instll it in the plug wire, ground the plug's electrode to the engine so you will be able to see it spark.  

4.  Turn the ignition key on.  

5.  Loosen the distributor bolts (both) just enough to be able to turn it.

6.  Rotate the distributor CCW 1/4 turn, then CW until the plug fires.  

7.  As soon as it fires, turn off the ignition key, then lock down the clamp.  

If timing was your issue, now the engine should start.  Hopefully you didn't lose the cam timing while you were dealing with it being "180 out.)  If you did, you're about to ruin your valves when they hit the pistons.  Have you called to speak with Andy at Bradley restorations???

I think you need to go back to the other post on your L20B and continue it there. It can be a long process for someone new to these old engines. Just keep going and knowledge will increase. Worst thing is starting a second post on the same thing. it's very confusing... to everyone trying to help.