changing out head gasket, need advice.

poopypants720

Just mount the radiator lower, that is what I would do and have done in the past.

tried it. Still not gonna fit inside the shroud

I'm a fan of 92-95 Ford Taurus. Two speed, high cfm, should fit that radiator ok.

Also early 2000s Ford focus dual fan assemblies have a reputation for being high cfm quality units.

what's the ideal controller since its two speed? And do most controllers come with an inline temp sensor? 

so what was ther fix?

well, I replaced the timing cover gasket and used a sealant and rtv as specified, then I torqued down the head bolts in order again... So far so good... Just hope there isn't a recurrence... Spent over 3x what this head gasket replacement should have cost me .
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guy set the controller up in a couple of different ways. For one you can run two different temp sensors each one controlling one fan speed. The other most common is to have a temp controller running the main fan speed and set up the secondary on a switch for just when it gets super hot.

And yes any controller you buy should come with some kind of temp sensor there are a variety of different styles and those affect cost on them

Use of these fans is pretty common in the off-road world. A little bit of Google searching should offer you a variety of ways that guys have set these up. Particularly on off road vehicles

• Like 1

What happens if I take a hack saw and just cut right behind the fan clutch? Would the entire pulley assembly come off?

Only asking cause after comparing a bit, the dome on the pulley is actually taller for the clutchless water pumps that if I were to be able to just remove the clutch from the pulley altogether...

N I just picked up a ford focus dual fan n to get it to fit with my 3" thick, 3 core radiator and it together, I'll need about 5.5"-7" of clearance from the mounting@the front frame, to the front of the engine in order to make it fit... Depending on where the pulley lies between the two fans.

Can I also pull the fan clutch off the water pump?

Saw the 280zx had the same pump, but no clutch, but don't know where to find the pulley that mounts to the pump and they really aren't common in my junk yards here...

I cut the clutch apart to expose the bearing then sliced it up in pieces. Likely just removing the bearing will give you the room you want but you can trim the shaft as well. Stay at least 3/16" away from the pressed on pulley.

720stuff002Large.jpg

720stuffclutchfanremoval006Large.jpg

• Like 1

Was mainly looking at the Ford Taurus fan... But our radiators aren't even close to tall enough to effectively use one... So then moved into the Ford contour dual fan as many also mentioned it in the same threads as the taurus fans... Close to the same size as our radiators, but the first yard I found one at wanted $75 when it's $99 from rockauto(ummm, no)...

So wound up where I knew I'd find something...the biggest yard in my area, and sadly enough, they are closing! Only good thing is, until the 29th everything is half off!

So the first contour I walked up to was already scavenged, the next one was a crap single fan setup on a 4cyl, then I turn around and see the Ford focus! I was like, wait, Lock said those were decent movers!

It was still there, in good condition and super easy to pull. Only $33!

The rest of the setup was easy to piece together also and has become renown for its reliability and used across multiple years and vehicles, so it's cheap to source.