620 j15 using mgb exhaust, intake manifold and carbys

rheecey21

Engines guys!

Can't find anything good to bolt on to my j15 but have read that some people are using stuff off of MG Bs

They dance around the subject saying it does work and some say it doesn't find.

Just would like to know if anyone is using them and how did they go!

Any pictures would help.

I tried getting measurements of the ports but didn't have any luck!

Or if anyone can direct me to buying some j15 stiff because there is nothing in Aus or eBay I can buy.

Please help!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are lucky in one respect, you are RHD over there, this helps a lot.

Pierce makes a Weber carb manifold that bolts to both the E1/J series and MGB engines of that era, as far as I know the MGB stuff will bolt or almost bolt to the Datsun E1 and J series heads, I have not done it myself yet, but I have bought everything I need to do what you are talking about.

Here is the Pierce manifold with Weber carb that will bolt to either the early MGB or Datsun engine.

DSCN3698.JPG

I bought these recently for one of my 320s.

DSCN4902.JPG

As you can see, the intake will bolt to the Datsun head, it measures out right, otherwise I would not have bought it.

DSCN4903.JPG

The issue with us here in the USA is that the steering column and transmission shift linkage on the column shift 320s get it the way, but RHD vehicles don't have this issue.

I am picking up these tomorrow for my J15 I have even though it's not in a car/truck right now.

HIF4_034.JPG

HIF4_035.JPG

HIF4_041.JPG

I believe that this MGB GT exhaust manifold will work with a RHD vehicle, but not on our LHD vehicles we have over here.

DSCN4720.JPG

DSCN4722.JPG

Now I am not saying that stuff will not need some mods to make them fit, I heard that some things need metal added to make the mount washers even, the same height as the exhaust, as I said, I have not installed any of these things yet, I have bought all them because I can sell them for what I bought them for if I have to.

Here is another side draft made for the MGB that I believe will work on a Datsun E1/J series engine.

DSCN3037.JPG

DSCN3039.JPG

DSCN3038.JPG

These are all intake systems that you can look for, they mostly come from the early MGB series engines, I have even heard that we can bolt the Datsun head to the MGB block, as the Datsun E1/J series engines are just copies of the MGB engine, and that is supposed to be an upgrade compared to the MGB head.

I hope I got this all right, before you buy anything you need to ask for measurements to make sure what you are buying will indeed work, sometimes one might get confused when talking about Mg cars, as the MG Midget has a totally different engine borrowed from Triumph, no engine parts interchange between the Midget and the MGB, the parts you are looking for are for the MGB engine.

Engines guys!
Can't find anything good to bolt on to my j15 but have read that some people are using stuff off of MG Bs
They dance around the subject saying it does work and some say it doesn't find.

Just would like to know if anyone is using them and how did they go!

Any pictures would help.

I tried getting measurements of the ports but didn't have any luck!

Or if anyone can direct me to buying some j15 stiff because there is nothing in Aus or eBay I can buy.

Please help!

• Like 1

This guy used MGB intake and exhaust on his J1500 but says fuel pump won't fit ,,

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/534452/1966-datsun-410/photo-gallery/

The site won't let me steal picture ,, so click on above  link and cycle through pictures and you will see one with engine sitting on ground.. Intake exhaust side of engine facing camera.,,,,,, notice fuel pump block off plate,

Here's more of that blog explaining what he did

http://www.cardomain.com/ridepost/1031696/1966-datsun-410/

Pierce makes a Weber carb manifold that bolts to both the E1/J series and MGB engines of that era, as far as I know the MGB stuff will bolt or almost bolt to the Datsun E1 and J series heads...

I did not realize the E and J motors were the same. I had a MGB Weber DGV intake bolted to a E1 so I know that works for sure.

This guy used MGB intake and exhaust on his J1500 but says fuel pump won't fit ,,

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/534452/1966-datsun-410/photo-gallery/

The site won't let me steal picture ,, so click on above  link and cycle through pictures and you will see one with engine sitting on ground.. Intake exhaust side of engine facing camera.,,,,,, notice fuel pump block off plate,

Here's more of that blog explaining what he did

http://www.cardomain.com/ridepost/1031696/1966-datsun-410/

I just checked out that link and that car has a steering box mounted close to the firewall whereas the trucks have the steering box mounted next to the radiator. Big difference.

His location says Australia so i figured steering wouldn't be a problem.  Actually it was the J15 in a 620 that got me looking at his location at all.

I posted blog link to show that even though it fit on engine he had to have exhaust done twice just to clear and work correctly... But that site sections the pages out weird so hard to see it without clicking all over the place.

I just picked up the Hif4 dual SU setup freshly rebuilt today, I hated the traffic coming home at 5pm.

The reason I am posting here today is because I noticed something I have never noticed before, the MGB dual SU setups I have recently bought do not have vacuum ports for the vacuum advance on our Nissans/Datsuns, I posted an inquiry about how the MGB controls the advance, and I am waiting for a reply.

There are a couple places on the SU housings that might be drilled for the vacuum port, I asked about that also.

What confuses me is the MG midget Dual SUs are the same as our Datsuns, they do have a vacuum port, but that 1500cc engine is borrowed from Triumph.

So this should be kept in mind before purchasing one of these setups, I will post what I find out.

By the way, that is not the only exhaust manifold out there, I was considering using the J13 exhaust manifold and putting a block off plate where the carb is supposed to be if neither of the exhaust manifolds I have will clear the fuel pump, more research is needed to figure it all out.

I just picked up the Hif4 dual SU setup freshly rebuilt today, I hated the traffic coming home at 5pm.

The reason I am posting here today is because I noticed something I have never noticed before, the MGB dual SU setups I have recently bought do not have vacuum ports for the vacuum advance on our Nissans/Datsuns, I posted an inquiry about how the MGB controls the advance, and I am waiting for a reply.

There are a couple places on the SU housings that might be drilled for the vacuum port, I asked about that also.

What confuses me is the MG midget Dual SUs are the same as our Datsuns, they do have a vacuum port, but that 1500cc engine is borrowed from Triumph.

So this should be kept in mind before purchasing one of these setups, I will post what I find out.

By the way, that is not the only exhaust manifold out there, I was considering using the J13 exhaust manifold and putting a block off plate where the carb is supposed to be if neither of the exhaust manifolds I have will clear the fuel pump, more research is needed to figure it all out.

My first two cars were MGB's and I never did like the HIF4 carbs, but that was back when I was a kid. I just googled them to refresh my memory and it actually looks to be a superior design with and integrated float bowl and no leaky fuel hose, But they don't have the same style of choke as the HS4 carb either. I wonder how that works.

BTW- the 1500 was not a Triumph engine. Triumphs had the ports on the other side of the head.

Proof MGB stuff fits.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/40524-66-520-build/page-2

The header does not exactly "fit". You have to remove the fuel pump (or modify the header) and clearance the block/header collector slightly. Also, you can not use the stock J13 manifold with the single sidedraft setup. Not sure how the cast MG manifold fits.

My first two cars were MGB's and I never did like the HIF4 carbs, but that was back when I was a kid. I just googled them to refresh my memory and it actually looks to be a superior design with and integrated float bowl and no leaky fuel hose, But they don't have the same style of choke as the HS4 carb either. I wonder how that works.

BTW- the 1500 was not a Triumph engine. Triumphs had the ports on the other side of the head.

The MG Midget had a Triumph 1500 engine in it, I have 2 of them engines in my garage right now, and yes the intake/exhaust were on the Passenger side(right side) in the Midget, the reason I know all this is because I have a MGTD with a A15/auto in it, and I have exhaust clearance issues, I had to notch the exhaust manifold, and have been thinking about putting a Midget engine in it, that will fix my clearance issues. 

Here is one of the engines running on a test stand.

DSCN4338.JPG

DSCN4337.JPG

Here is the notch I am very unhappy about, I had to cut the insides out of that manifold to use it, it works/runs just fine, I have drove it down the freeway, but I don't like it.

DSCN4268.JPG

I also have dual SUs for the Midget engine, so at least it would be MG again, and when and if I sell it, I will be able to keep my A series dual SU package.

DSCN4305.JPG

Here is the MGTD

DSCN4689.JPG

My reply was not complete. The MGA had a 1500 in it which was a B series, which is not a Triumph design. The J15 is a copy of the B series BMC engine.

You're right that the 1500 used in the Midget was a Triumph engine. I had a bunch of early Midgets and Sprites with 1098's and 1275's which is an A series BMC engine.

The 1250 in the TD is not a particularly good engine, but the one I built for my dad's TD runs pretty strong. Now if I could only talk him into the 5 speed conversion...

If he drives it a lot, then the 5 speed conversion would be a great upgrade.

I don't really care about any of the MGB parts except for the dual SU package, I heard that Nissan made dual SUs for the J block, but I have never seen one in person, and if I ever do see a setup, I will look very close to see if it is actually a Nissan setup, they likely are as rare as the dual overhead cam L block.