just another 521 thread

2dat0z9

So finally I decided to start a thread for my project.

After five years of Not having a datsun, I bought this 521 about a year ago. it sat at my friends house for about 7 or 8 months. I couldn't really work on it too much since we work different shifts. Two months ago I moved to a house with a big garage. I've been working on it every day after work

20151125_204426.jpg

IMG_20151204_211557.jpg

IMG_20151204_211232.jpg

IMG_20151204_211527.jpg

IMG_20151204_211415.jpg

L20 with w53 closed chamber head. Electronic distributor, coil and remote igniter unit from a 78 280z. Aluminum radiator.

IMG_20151204_211527.jpg

Shortened steering column 3"

IMG_20151204_211430.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20151125_204350.jpg

I did an I. R. Alternator swap in my truck. I spliced the wires on the old voltage regulator plug just how the how to thread says. White and yellow, w/red and w/black. The alternator works fine but as soon as I connect the ground cable to the battery, one of the relays gets power and drains the battery. Can someone tell me what this relay is for? First relay from front of the truck is the horn relay, then headlights relay then the last one is the one draining the battery. My truck is a 72

• Like 1

1972 521 trucks have an electric choke.  This relay is the choke heater relay.  It uses a signal from the Externally regulated alternator to apply current to the electric choke heater.   That way, the choke only gets power when the key is on, and the engine is running.  Datsun electric parts are pretty well designed.  There is nothing wrong with an externally regulated alternator system,

You can retain the externally regulated alternator, and have higher amperage by getting one for a 510, with air conditioning, or a smaller diameter 240 Z alternator. 

Make sure you keep the black wire that was under one of the bolts that hold the voltage regulator to the inner fender.  this blacvk wire goes back to the alternator frame.  If you lose the ground connection between the cab sheet metal, and the engine, the cab will try to ground through the throttle cable, melting the plastic outer cable, destroying the cable, and possibility leaving your throttle stuck open.

• Like 2

The black with red stripe wire only gets power in the crank position.   This was used with points, and a ballast resistor.

Black with white applied power to the ballast resistor, with the key in "run" and the other side of the ballast resistor was black with red, and went to coil positive.

Black with red got power in crank position, and bypassed the ballast resistor, when cranking.  This gave a stronger spark.

Here is a 1970 521 wiring diagram.  There are differences with your 1972, the choke relay is one.  but a lot of stuff in this diagram is the same.

521wires.jpg

• Like 1