the south african pickups what gives?

superjesus

again another topic 

i used to live in africa 

and for a very long time they manufactured the b140 nissan pickup (bakkie in afrikaans) 

they share much of the same parts as our datsuns and are very cheap to pick up yet i never hear of guys importing them and stripping them for parts since they have the 1400 engine and i believe the 5 speed box they are very good and cheap options i would think not? 

they were build right up untill 2008 wich means you can get many mint conditions cars and parts 

what gives? whats stopping us or me from importing one and just doing a complete engine and drivetrain swap? 

so i have much stronger and newer parts as well as the very nice 5 speed and 1400 engine combo? 

hell they tune and turbo those bakkies alot there, ive seen them very nice and cheap 

seems like a no brainer especially for the guys doing restorations  or wanting racers?

1280px-Nissan_1400_B140_Bakkie_zpscir7nw

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They look like a 1200 Ute.? Hell I'd rock one with a KA drive train.

1400 what? L series? A series? Something newer?

I doubt they even have emissions devices on them or only rudimentary ones.  If emission tested it wouldn't be allowed on the road.

Its about $1500 to ship a car to Africa so im assuming it would be about the same coming back. I know I guy from Cameroon  he buys car for cheap because they wont  pass smog and sends them over ther. Ratsun engineering aint shit compared to African engineering.....they can make what ever they need out what ever they find its amazing

They look like a 1200 Ute.? Hell I'd rock one with a KA drive train.

1400 what? L series? A series? Something newer?

I doubt they even have emissions devices on them or only rudimentary ones.  If emission tested it wouldn't be allowed on the road.

yes they do the did have a few  small changes such as the higher roof to fit the taller population 

as far as i know its the 1400 A series 

i cant tell you much about the emissions but i know that if you did import one you can mod it so it follow the emissions code and therefore be legal 

but as a source of great parts at fair prices it should awesome . i know i wouldnt mind a newer gearbox 

and there should be a great deal of tuning parts there its popular to turbo em 

Importing from Africa doesn't sound anywhere near as cool as doing so from Japan.

I bet it costs a heck of a lot more though.

doesnt sound as good no...

but i would think its easier since there is no language barrier 

and shipping should be the same if not cheaper 

i think they were only made for SA 

theno1ladiesdetectiveagn.3083.jpg

theno1ladiesdetectiveag.2571.jpgi386760.jpg

they were build is SA then exported throughout the surrounding countries 

i remember seeing them on a daily basis and they were often reffered to as 'kannie doods'  which translates as cannot dies 

a few years back i saw one take part in the toyota kalahari desert race it was a nimble little beast 

Over what, 25 years old model could be brought to US with exemption to allow importing?

I'm different than a lot of Rats; I'd keep the original drivetrain, maybe heat it up just a little. Pick up a parts sedan and change to left hand drive. Dream car/truk.

Steve

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakkies/vereeniging/1986-nissan-1400-single-cab/1001466848080910332174509

this one would be legal in the usa to import, its cheap has a turbo, would be a great start for a project truck 

im not sure what the importation laws are for us europeans 

hell i want to buy one now and turn it into a great little track car perhaps rally truck?

5000ish Canadian after estimated import costs, don't think I would part one out, just drive it.

part it out or drive it 

south africa should probeblly be considered as a source of parts or datsuns 

lets  not forget they had the datsun 140z and the 160z there too