Going to look at one tomorrow, anything I should know?

Speedytech7

Hey Guys,

I am a long time mini-truck owner and enthusiast. I haven't owned any 2wd minis though, I'm currently building the crap out of a 95 Toyota Tacoma. But these Datsuns have captured part of me that I didn't know existed and now I really want to make one into a decent daily driver. My Tacoma has reached the stage where if it is going to get any more offroad capable it needs to be less streetable. So I found a 74 620 locally that I plan to trade for but the owner says it possibly needs a gas tank and a starter. It is a manual and right now it doesn't look lowered or anything.

I am more than confident that I could sort out any electrical and simple mechanical issues as well as weld up the rusty areas. The only thing that really escapes me is carburetors, I haven't had a vehicle (lawnmowers exempt) that had one in a long time and this one has been swapped from the Hitachi to a Weber 32/36. Other than that I hope to actually be an owner of one of these trucks soon, possibly tomorrow.

Is there anything in particular I should look out for besides the usual rust holes?

Thanks,

Zane

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Zane;

Im pretty sure this topic has been done to death on here.  Try searching for "buying a new car" or some similar term. 

If you were buying a 510 I could tell you nearly every good and bad thing about them.

OtherwIse the obvious things such as rust, signs of fluid leakage around the brake and clutch systems, dodgy body repairs, worn out bushes in all parts, shoddy suspension (legal paperwork is a big thing as well), tyres round and black, electrical system (turn indicators, brake lights, headlights etc all work) heater/demister works etc etc etc  (I think you get the drift).

Carburettors arent really that scary, theres a wealth of information on this forum that will help you along there.

BTW, as a Newbie it is your solemn duty to post some pictures of your new ride, consider it a rite of passage here at Ratsun.  This place is infected with picture whores and its just the accepted standard.

To not do so is kinda like trying to have sex with a mountain Bear, its just gunna end up bad!

P.s.  Welcome to Ratsun!

Zane;

Im pretty sure this topic has been done to death on here.  Try searching for "buying a new car" or some similar term. 

If you were buying a 510 I could tell you nearly every good and bad thing about them.

OtherwIse the obvious things such as rust, signs of fluid leakage around the brake and clutch systems, dodgy body repairs, worn out bushes in all parts, shoddy suspension (legal paperwork is a big thing as well), tyres round and black, electrical system (turn indicators, brake lights, headlights etc all work) heater/demister works etc etc etc  (I think you get the drift).

Carburettors arent really that scary, theres a wealth of information on this forum that will help you along there.

BTW, as a Newbie it is your solemn duty to post some pictures of your new ride, consider it a rite of passage here at Ratsun.  This place is infected with picture whores and its just the accepted standard.

To not do so is kinda like trying to have sex with a mountain Bear, its just gunna end up bad!

P.s.  Welcome to Ratsun!

Sounds good, I don't have any pictures of the ride to be. But I have pics of my Tacoma if that helps keep the pic whores at bay. Good to see there is a forum for these trucks that hasn't gone dead.

Here's a pic of the Taco, not that anyone here is interested.

20151024_140710_zpseqywlqel.jpg

• Like 1

Whelp, no luck on the 74. It looked like it needed too much engine work for my current living situation. So I'm going to look at a running and driving 78 on Saturday. Hopefully that pans out and if it does, hopefully I'll be able to drive it back around 150 miles

• Like 1