620 Front Bumper w/o License Plate Mutilation: Any?

Cardinal Grammeter

I'm guessing they do not exist.

Too bad. 

Mine is bent just a little, but I'd pop for a clean one.

NOTE:

I live in PA where we don't have front license plates.

NV, while they require a front license, you do not have to have one if there is no place to mount it (!)  YEAH BABY!

So my friend buys a new Buick SUV for his wife and on the plastic front fascia, there are two microscopic dimples to drill the holes to mount the license plate bracket.  And she is obsessing to drill the holes and mount the bracket and license... 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a valance - a bumper w/o the stamping and holes for a license plate.

I suppose it would be possible to take pieces from a 2nd bumper to weld/fab a bumper.

With precision welds and fit, the modded bumper could be polished and chromed.

A lot of work not to mention the ridiculous cost or chroming.

When I saw without dings I thought right away you meant the valence. They never survive. Trouble with the 'bumper' is that it really doesn't protect anything. It mounted to two curved thin struts that give next to no support but barely hold it in place. Worse the ends bolt into the two fenders so if the bumper is hit the fenders take a hit also. The 620 'bumper' is a cosmetic device.

• Like 1

That's why he's looking for something cosmetically "prettier" without the license plate opening.  I think Cardinal Grammeter has been watching too much Chip Foose/ Overhauled and has developed finer taste than the aftermarket world supports.   :thumbup:

It'd look cool and I dare you to go there....

• Like 2

Actually, if chrome plating was merely "expensive" (sarcasm) and there were lots of front bumpers out there for cheap, I'd consider the mod.

I haven't checked, but it might be possible to fill the license plate stamp with Bondo and then paint the bumper.

I even found that trim piece for the front of the hood.  Front looks pretty good, but bumper sucks.  (I even have those flimsy "bull bars" that I thought was aftermarket, but might be some kind of OE accessory???)

Yes, you could probably buy a NOS bumper for the cost of stripping and replating chrome. But the big question:  is it worth it???

I like your plan.  Better yet, since its just a fascia and not really a bumper, could you learn how to make a fiberglass mold of a "bondo'd" version of the bumper and have the basis to make fiberglass replacements?  If so, I'd be interested in one for our race truck, once we get out of the "production class."