Aftermarket Header available for the L20B?

Mike Phillips

I contacted the seller of the square header on eBay and they replied the header was designed to work on both square and round ports, but the gasket needs to be cut to make sure nothing obstructs the flow. I can't imagine if the square opening of the pipe has the diameter needed to clear the round head port that anything would cause leaks, and you could always use a good hi-temp gasket sealer to help, no?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I contacted the seller of the square header on eBay and they replied the header was designed to work on both square and round ports, but the gasket needs to be cut to make sure nothing obstructs the flow. I can't imagine if the square opening of the pipe has the diameter needed to clear the round head port that anything would cause leaks, and you could always use a good hi-temp gasket sealer to help, no?

They make L block round port headers, this one might still be for sale.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/46119-for-sale-new-l20-round-port-header-100-northern-california/page__hl__header

Although this may be??? a long tube header which may or may not fit your application.

I have not seen any round port shorty headers on here in the last few months, but they do show up from time to time.

They make L block round port headers, this one might still be for sale.

http://community.rat...age__hl__header

Although this may be??? a long tube header which may or may not fit your application.

I have not seen any round port shorty headers on here in the last few months, but they do show up from time to time.

I'm watching that post, but i'm just going to hold and wait till i see what comes to the door on delivery day, then go from there. Is there a big difference between the W58 head and the L16 210 head? They're not interchangeable are they?

All L 4 cylinder heads will physically bolt on but they come in a variety of 'sizes' depending on application. For example the L16's 210 head is for a smaller motor and has smaller combustion chambers... if used on a larger L20B the compression will be much higher. It also has smaller valves and ports.

For example....

W-58 head on L16...... 7.72 compression

210 head on L20B...... 9.23 compression

The W58 head has round exhaust ports while most other L heads have square.

I did kind of figure that to be the case, sorry if it seemed to be a dumb question. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the head i just paid to have re-done from the L16 engine before I went ahead and bought the L20B long block. I want to avoid having parts around that I can't use. I guess when the job is done I'll have a few parts to sell here, lol! Thanks Mike!