Hi from a new member with a datsun 620 king cab. And needing help head gasket!

Littlewozza

Hi new to the forum (names liam) just loved from England due yo my wife being a us citizen and finally got a project car, I have a datsun 620 king cab been sat for 21 years and only one owner etc after managing to snap a spark plug in the head... I removed the head and went about cleaning surfaces removing snapped plug etc. And found that one of the cylinder head surfaces had a mark next to a cylinder as seen in the photos now it's quite deep but it never had a problem when it was running and the gasket showed no signs of leakage. It's deep and wouldn't be able to be machined out. Will this cause a problem? I've changed plenty of head gaskets but never with a mark this deep. Anyway more info on the car, the car has all original receipts! Everything with it etc, floors are pretty rotten along with one side sill, if anyone wants the camper on the back make me a offer! I do not want it..., along with a huge original bumper that days the dealers name! I also have rust under the battery tray and to the body mount that's in the wheel well. So much rust it doesn't really exist anymore. But apart from that the car is solid. Good job I've done plenty of welding after owning several lancias in the UK! Haha. Thanks for any info and to be part of this forum. Everyone seems very helpful and I've already had alot of info of here.

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m508/Weelock124/Mobile%20Uploads/received_10208061286593794_zpsm8tom5dw.jpeg

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m508/Weelock124/Mobile%20Uploads/received_10208063204881750_zpssxcgrjro.jpeg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one's quoted me that low to shave the head. (legally can't work right now so money's tight) thanks for your advice I asked someone who's worked on a l20b and he said I should get away with it so I'll try it. I can always take it off again. Done plenty of head gaskets in my time but normally as you said I'd always shave the head to make a perfect seal. At least you can tell me I told you so when the head gasket fails! Haha.

• 1 month later...

received_10208063204881750_zpssxcgrjro.j

0.060" is close to 1.5mm!!!! That will mess with the chain tension. You'll need cam shims as stated. Compression will go up to 9.5... not good.

I would go to a welding shop and have someone TIG some aluminum in there for a case of beer. File it down and away you go. No need to shave and NEVER 0.060". Fly cut 0.005" or hand sand it down like the vid.

• Like 1