L18 loose timing chain?

Motschrocker

Avoid ever running out of gas again. It stirs up and disturbs sediment everywhere, specially in the float bowl. Could be part blocked primary jet. Could just be a few drops of water which is heavier than gas doing the same thing... usually this clears out by driving it.

Take a plug out. If strangely clean and white the jet is blocked and running lean.

• Like 1
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking is it possible you have a float that is slowly filling with fuel causing a overly high fuel bowl dumping gas into the carb which would explain these symptoms. When you get it to idle ok slowly run your hand over the top of the car chocking it off, if the idle speeds up you have a vacuum leak if you have a leak of a different type. Also check under you're distributor cap and make sure you don't have any arc burns leading from one terminal to another this will also cause a lot of these symptoms you've described.

• Like 1

could be dirt in float bowl floating around covineering up then is fine.  But I think you would be able to see it from the front glass the condition.

anything with a exposed gas tank has more chance od dirt rust issues

My 521 dirt/water gets in from the fuel hose in the wheelwell and runs down inside.(privios owner told me this) hes gas tank would actually fill up when it rained.

So i run 2 filters and change dthem more often. 510s dont have this proplem as the tennk is in the trunk and fuel opening is on side and really not water gets to it.

I have actually taken the jets out with the carb on the manifold but much much easier if it is off. The jets are got at by removing the two plugs on the outside of the carb body just below the glass front. Again this is not a stock carb so... ?????