Truck won't start after fuel pump eccentric came loose.

Low73620

So here is the deal, I installed a new mechanical fuel pump after my electric pump was giving me issues. Drove a half mile and the eccentric came loose on the cam. I then removed the valve cover and tightened the bolt. Well seems I bent the fuel pump plunger. After messing with it for a while i decided to go back and just replace the efp instead.

Now while the valve cover was off I put the motor to no1 and checked timing marks on the cam gear. Looks good.

I have spark and fuel and still no fire. No pop or anything.

Any ideas what could have happened by the eccentric cam gear from coming loose?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bolt can't come loose, no way. They are torqued to 90-110 ft lbs. It ain't coming loose So you must have put it on with the pump. Or taken it off with the old pump and had to put it back on. (both unnecessary)  Or at some time in the past the cam sprocket was removed, perhaps for a head gasket replacement and not properly tightened..

Can't see how the pump arm is bent as it's bent looking to begin with and moves to follow the eccentric.

Was the sprocket loose on the bolt? Wobbly? or just loose enough for the eccentric to slip? If loose enough the sprocket could have 1/4 turned to the next dowel hole. The TDC and ignition timing would still be unaffected but the valve timing would be insanely out, possibly enough for open valves to hit piston tops at TDC.

At TDC are the number one valve lobes at 10 and 2 o'clock??? as viewed from the front

If everything is right... look down the carb and pump the gas. You should see strong squirts of fuel. Got spark??? If everything is there it's likely flooded from the new pump. Look at the sight glass on the front of the carb. Is it over filled or at the mark on the glass??

• Like 1

Looks like the spacer is missing. Probably why the pump arm bent.

When I bought the truck the EFP was already installed. There was a block off plate on the head.

Until recently, I never found the EFP a problem, always seemed to provide adequate fuel with low pressure for the Weber. Turns out there was an inline fuel filter before the pump that was clogged.

I'm going to have to remove the Valve cover again an check the location of the cam lobs. I just checked the timing marks.

Good point. Block the tensioner. Use the search function for details but DO NOT remove the cam sprocket until you do.

When safely blocked and at TDC, lift the sprocket away but keep the chain on, rotate the cam with vice-grips until the aligning dowel pin (hopefully it has not sheared off) fits in the #1 hole and the cam lobes are at 10 and 2.