help identifying engine!!!

S.osolit13

i need help figuring out if this guys is telling the truth its not a datsun motor but its a ford i know its a datsun site but yall are nice haha but anyways this guy is telling me he has a 351 cleveland i asked him already how many bolts are holding the valve covers on and he said 8 and sent me a pic of it and thats the truth but both the 351c and 351m have 8 bolts holding the intake i asked for the casting number on the block and he sent me the intake number ( i think ) witch is 18726548 and when i looked that up all i got was people saying thats a intake off a windsor he also sent me these pics any help would be greatly appriciated

IMG_0739_zpsv5kgjxoj.jpg

IMG_0740_zpszwzbm93y.jpg

IMG_0741_zpsuq7pw5vw.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's the firing order.  :lol:

The Cleavland has a 90 degree bend on the rad hose...

351_Cleveland_2.jpg

The Windsor comes out straight...

351_Windsor_pic.jpg

Back in '71 I never raced against a 351 Windsor, even once. Every dick that has a ford said it was a Cleavland. Some were faster that others so they might have been Cleavlands, maybe. I never lost to a Ford.

• Like 1

There is an alpha numerical code on the intake some where ,, it will start with D maybe followed by a 1. 2. or 3 .. The D stands for 70s and the number is the year ...  It could also be a 351M or 400M and they suck as they are prone to cracking,, alot.

IF it was a true 4 bolt main  4V type engine it would either have a cast iron 4 barrel intake from the factory ( no exceptions) and gigantic exhaust ports,,, and when i say gigantic,,, they are at least as big as a 429/460 .,, WAY bigger than 2bbl heads,   I couldn't imagine someone swaping heads and intake off a 2 BBL engine onto a 4bolt main  engine,,,,,,,,,,, BUT to fool people into paying big bucks for a 2 bolt engine i have seen the opposite,, but those heads and intakes have been nearly impossible to find for many years so that is unlikely. 

Buyer beware

• Like 2

That isn't a windsor, the exhaust bolts aren't horizontal and Windsor is 6 bolt.

351C/351M/400 are 8 bolt.

Have your guy measure the intake valley, if it's wider than 6 31/32" it's not a Cleveland.

• Like 1

It's a larger displacement than your 302 and will have more pulling power and that's about it. I think the early Cleavland were 2 bolt and changed to 4 the next year but if you have 4 bolt rods a shop can drill the block out to take them. If it came with a 2bbl it probably wasn't very high hp and was likely single exhaust too.

• Like 1

Yeah I don't think it would fit in the Datsun plus it's all stock but I have a 74 olds 455 that needs to be rebuilt that the guy wants to trade me for I was thinking since it's a Cleveland those are usually worth abit of money plus it's a ford more people wanting them then a newer olds 455 that needs a rebuild

• Like 1

I wouldn't use it ,, JUST  because it bolts to tranny. 

I used them in paved circle track racing cuz they seemed to have more "grunt" than a 351 windsor ( 1990s no internets "engine calculators"  seat of pants guessing) ,, and quite a bit more than a 302 ,, but it was hard .. expensive,,  to find parts for even back then.... 

I would find a 87 or newer cheap truck 5.0 .. It is lighter and will spin up much faster because of the roller cam...  The stock 289/302 carb intake bolts on with no modification at all... You need to use flywheel or flex plate balanced to the 5.0 though as the 302/289 on is balanced different,, but Summit sells flex plates for that for like  $40. bucks

• Like 1

What do u guys think I should do sell the 455 for 300$ or trade for the 351c 2 bolt main with a 2 barrel also apparently needs a new piston and rod in the first cylinder but the 455 also needs a full rebuild

I love clevelands but they are expensive when they break , and that one is broken already...  i would find old car forums ie. The HAMB or oldsmobile forum and put the 455 in their classifieds as i think trading for the 351 is a bad deal for you.. 

Tread lightly in those old hot rod forums as most they are crusty pricks looking for someone to complain about.. BUT most are also older guys willing and able to pay full bore for what they want.