Help with identification

datsunfreak

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Contact your local Motor Vehicle office or Highway Patrol and have them search the license plate!  Unless it's a stolen plate the vehicle year and status should be in the records.  From the add-on push button to the right of the 3 pull accessory cluster, I would guess you have an aftermarket Kangaroo Bag windshield washer assembly.  If those are the original wheel covers, you have an early WPL411 or a WPL410.

I would be surprised if it wasn't a 1965. Keyhole tail lights are 64/65 only but 1964 had all chrome wide bumper overriders. Grill would be another clue, but that ones not there. 66-67 had a rectangular taillight setup. My 65 wagon is about identical except the old radio, which I like, but I also like my radio delete plate...

The taillights tell me it's a 410; 64-65.

Thanks.  :thumbup:

rear badge tells me this is a wagon

Oooh! Good eye.   ^_^

Contact your local Motor Vehicle office or Highway Patrol and have them search the license plate!  Unless it's a stolen plate the vehicle year and status should be in the records. 

Second thing I tried. State of Texas only keeps records for 20 years. Since it wasn't registered in the last 20 years there is no information on it in the system. Had the same problem with my '72 wagon, but thankfully it had a production date. 

From the add-on push button to the right of the 3 pull accessory cluster, I would guess you have an aftermarket Kangaroo Bag windshield washer assembly. 

I'll take a peek and see. 

If those are the original wheel covers, you have an early WPL411 or a WPL410.

I would wager they are. Haven't seen anything that looks non-original yet. And it's been parked for over 30 years. I'm guessing the engine doesn't tell us much? 

Look at the tags on the seat belts!  They will tell you just when the belts were manufactured 

This was the first thing I tried.  :rofl:

I dated my '68 wagon this way. Unfortunately, none of the seat belts have production tags on them.   :sneaky:

I would be surprised if it wasn't a 1965. Keyhole tail lights are 64/65 only but 1964 had all chrome wide bumper overriders.

So this is a '65 bumper then?

Grill would be another clue, but that ones not there.

Yeah, I see that's a good indicator. It being missing is the whole reason I asked. Didn't know tail lights were also key. 

66-67 had a rectangular taillight setup. My 65 wagon is about identical except the old radio, which I like, but I also like my radio delete plate...

So then '65?

And the more I think about it, that can't possibly be the original plate for this car. State of Texas changes the plate design every 5 years, and has since the late 70s. The vehicle inspection sticker on the windshield says it was last inspected in 1986. So it should at least have the early 80s license plate on it. Not a '74 issue plate. 

My educated guess is that the license plate was stolen from a '74 model car. It is from the era of when they issued YOM plates. 

you have an early WPL411 or a WPL410.

Oh, another question on this point. VIN location? Doesn't seem to be on the firewall like a 510, at least not in an obvious place. And VIN should tell me which one of those it is, right?

The taillights tell me it's a 410

I know on the 520/521, one of the ways you can tell the difference between them is by the front turn signals. 520 wraps around and 521 is flat. Is it the same for the 410/411? 

Do all 410s have these lights or do some 410s have 411 lights?

Datsun_Bluebird_410.jpg

There is no VIN per se on these 410 and 411 series vehicles.  The production ID number is punched into the sheet metal on the passenger side directly above the fuse box and ignition coil.  It should say "WPL410XXXXXX", or if it is an early 411 "WPL411xxxx".  The first "x" digit is a zero for the 1964 model, incrementing by one for each suceeding model year.

Second reply, earliest 411s had the "Keyhole" rear lights, not the rectangular ones.  So this could be either a WPL410 or an early WPL411.

Ideally you would still have the metalic tag on the Left front fender with the vehicle model, engine info imprinted on it.

There is no VIN per se on these 410 and 411 series vehicles.  

Oh, I know there's no modern 17-digit VIN.   ^_^

I was speaking of the WPL410xxxxxx as being the VIN. 

The production ID number is punched into the sheet metal on the passenger side directly above the fuse box and ignition coil.

I will look there and see.   :thumbup:

Second reply, earliest 411s had the "Keyhole" rear lights, not the rectangular ones.  So this could be either a WPL410 or an early WPL411.

Thanks. I didn't really think it was that early of a car. That's surprising.

Ideally you would still have the metalic tag on the Left front fender with the vehicle model, engine info imprinted on it.

I'm pretty sure that's not there, but I'll check and make sure.  :thumbup:

As an aside, it turns out I am not that smart...   :rofl:

And as it also turns out, they did make at least one '66 with "keyhole" lights...   :thumbup:

20150803_094902.jpg

I could not get the hood open before, but since it has no radiator I could at least see the J13 in it. But I could not see the ID tag on the inner fender.

Today I figured out how to get the hood open.   ^_^

By that logic shouldn't it be a 2 and not an 8? 

Not necessarily!  For example, WRL411 first year of production "VIN" began with the number "6" to differentiate the wagon serial number run from the RL411 sedan series.  I'm not sure what the first digit for the WPL410 series initial first number was!  I will try to dig through my uncataloged serial number references, just might be an eye opener in one of those old references!  No guarantees but let's see what I can find.

Not necessarily!  For example, WRL411 first year of production "VIN" began with the number "6" to differentiate the wagon serial number run from the RL411 sedan series.  I'm not sure what the first digit for the WPL410 series initial first number was! 

I thought it might be something like that. The 510s are that way, with wagons starting on a different digit. With this being an 8 it must've started on 6 right?