Howdy! My first 210

Hi all!

I just picked up my first Datsun and its a 1980 210 hatch back. It's got 33,000 miles on it and most of those miles were behind an rv I'm told. It came with the (factory installed?) front bumper hitch and still has the mounting brackets on it. She runs like a top and got 42 mpg on our way home from the purchase. As you can guess, there's a few problems that need to be addressed. Unfortunately, I've been having a heck of a time finding replacement parts but I'm determined to get this little girl fit as a fiddle.

So, here's my initial list of projects kind:

1) leaky rear hatch glass

- no replacement on this planet, or so it seems.

2) rear hatch defrost

-the dash light comes on but the glass still fogs up. Lots of rain here in not so sunny portland Oregon.

3) shocks all around

-the driver side is the worst but they are all supper bouncy

4) paint

-not high on my priority,but it should happen someday. I kinda like a faded look though, so maybe clear coat?

Here is a few pics

image_zpsrxuhqtor.jpg

image_zpsxeltwag2.jpg

image_zpsli2u7nht.jpgimage_zpsdvodyad8.jpg

image_zps8hjq4pdv.jpg

image_zpsqhbpmdkx.jpg

image_zps6fps93bs.jpg

image_zpszfryarbf.jpg

image_zps4bhmvgs5.jpg

image_zpsst8c23o6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! No garage... I wish

I would love to fix the hatch, but I'm not sure what to do. The guy I bought it from put clear silicone all over the gasket. Today I managed to scrape most of it off and it doesn't seem to leak any worst than it did before. I've got an appointment for Friday to have a glass shop check it out. They said it might be possible to re-set the glass using the old rubber but they need to see it. I'd fix it myself if I had a DIY solution. Luckily, it's gonna be sunny all next week ☀️!

I got it for $3,000... I'm I nuts?

I don't think so, depeding on your financial situation. That 210 is seriously pristine. Sure you could get better value cars for the money, but at this point 210's in that good of condition are basically priceless because of how rare they're becoming.

I wish there were more parts available! It makes me want a 510... Any trade interest? Maybe I can swap in Canby...

Aww man, don't say that!

I originally was looking for a 510, but couldn't find anything in the same price range in decent shape.

Yeah, you won't either sadly thank to Jay Leno. >> It's a very clean 210 and there are parts, you just need to do some looking. Can't find a part? Find a place to make you a new one. Is your back glass broken? If not, find a new rear glass seal, you can still find them!

• Like 1

Jeebus...that thing is primo. 

Right? Hell, you got an uncracked dash and your radio plate wasn't chopped out to try and fit an aftermarket. BTW, don't try it, it won't work and all you'll do destroy your dash.

Wait for a warm day and put vaseline on the front n rear window seals. Leave it on a couple of days n repeat. Wipe off the excess and you will be amazed how well it works.

I'll try this tomorrow. The front doesn't leak tho, should I do it anyway? Is the point of this to fill any small gaps with Vaseline or does it make the rubber swell back to it's original size?

Part number for hatch weatherstrip is 90310-H8700. Unfortunately Nissan doesn't have them anymore but that might help in your search. Sometimes aftermarket ones give you the part number they replace. What else you looking for?

• Like 1