Intermentant starting problems

trjerm

Hello, I have a 1985 720 KC 4x4 and it's refused to even turn over on 2-3 occassions in the last few days . I installed some fog lights and my fuseable links were mikey moused so I cut the clip out and put some crimp on ends and wired them directly to the positive post. It's been having issues for a couple of months, where it loses voltage if it sits for a 2-3  days and will barely turn over and I'll have to charge it briefly  to get it to start, but the latest, it won't even attempt to turn over and it's intermentant , in that ie, it'll start great all day and than won't even try after I stopped for dinner, than started fine after bump starting. I'm stumped !!!

• Like 1
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try pulling the two wire plastic plug out of the back of the alternator. If it keeps it's charge then one of the diodes is going bad.

Does you horn work? Does it?

Get a test lamp and connect between either battery post and the disconnected cable. It should not light up. If it does, then something is on and drawing power with the key off. If you have a clock pull that fuse. If the light is on start pulling the fuses out one at a time until the lamp does go out. The draw is on the the fuse that was pulled.

• Like 2

the latest starting issue seems to be related to the started circuit , possibly a dead spot on the starter., but I don't know, just looking for  suggestions. Thanks for the ideas on searching down the voltage drain when sitting

• Like 1

Make a jumper wire and connect to the positive post. Touch the small wire terminal on the starter solenoid. (expect sparks and the loud starting sounds, have in neutral)  If it cranks over every time then the start signal from the ignition is week. You need a sot start relay made up.

• Like 1

lol (last post, didn't check it) You only need the HOT start relay if the start signal from the key is weak. My 710 was this way took 2-3 tries before the starter wound click in. The signal was about 7 volts instead of near 12. Old and a long run of wired contributed to a big voltage drop. You can use the weak signal to energize a relay that supplies a solid 12 volts from the battery directly to the starter solenoid.

I pulled the 2 wire plug out of the alternator and started it and my volt meter read 12.6 volts and dropped to 12.2 v when I turned on the headlights. I then reconnected the 2 wire plug and the volts were 12.9 v right after starting it, then rose to 14.0 v after running for a min or so. When I turned on the headlights the volts dropped to 13.7v and 13.5v when headlights and fog lights were on. On testing the voltage drain, did you mean that I should disconnect the neg terminal and connect a test light between the terminal and the disconnected wire?

Try pulling the two wire plastic plug out of the back of the alternator. If it keeps it's charge then one of the diodes is going bad.*

Does you horn work? Does it?

Get a test lamp and connect between either battery post and the disconnected cable**. It should not light up. If it does, then something is on and drawing power with the key off. If you have a clock pull that fuse. If the light is on start pulling the fuses out one at a time until the lamp does go out. The draw is on the the fuse that was pulled.

I meant to pull the plug for over night and see if the battery keeps it's charge. Some alternators, when they go bad, can drain the battery. 

**  Between either neg or pos post, yes 

I went ahead and pulled the ignition switch and it was a little loose, so I tightened up the crimps w/ a punch and it tightened it up nicely. I

'm hoping this takes care of the intermitant starting issue. Still have to figure out what's drawing my battery down when it sit's for 2-3 days.