L20 TDC

CAR2N1016

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys i have a 1972 510 with an L16 in it the engine blew and i couldnt find a head so a friend of mine gave me his l20 head. The only thing i need to know is where is TDC for the L20 head ???

First set your engine to TDC so that is not lost and you know where you are. Be sure to block the timing chain so it cannot move and the tensioner fall out. If you don't know what I'm talking about find out first before removing the cam sprocket!!! This is important!!!!! 

Mark the chain and the sprocket so it they can go back together in the same position. Make sure the cam on the new head is roughly in the same position as the old one on your engine. Swap the head. Line up cam sprocket and chain marks and turn cam so the pin fits into the sprocket and they go together. Bolt it up.

Open chamber head will drastically lower your compression 6.7 I think, I worked it out once. A closed chamber L head like an A87 will only drop it from 8.5 to 8.2 or so. In either case the engine will run and get you on the road while you keep looking for the proper 210 head..