brake upgrade?

Thisolddatsun

I heard the 86 4x4 720 has the best disk brakes. My question is can I just swap the caliper and rotor over instead of doing the whole knuckle? I have a 81 4x4 and if I was to do this I would neee to change cv axles and Im not sure if the lengths are different or not but I know the width of the input shaft is bigger than mine. Is it the same off a pathfinder? I was thinking if the rotor is the same it should just go right on, right?

• Like 1
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they are definitely an improvement but very unlikely to swap without swapping the complete knuckle. For one thing the later rotor is much wider and vented, the '81 is a dinner plate. The early D-21 Hardbody used the 720 front brakes and may be easier to find.The 720 up until Oct '82 pretty much reused the much older 620 disc brakes

• Like 1

Sounds like an assumption, though.  Caliper can be offset on its own, and rotor hats can be different.  I don't know the answer, but...

Huh? Then how much guess will be involved find a rotor to fit where ever you decide place the caliper. 

Early 720 spindles are different parts than the later ones. 

Make life easy. Just get all or none.

• Like 1

Huh? Then how much guess will be involved find a rotor to fit where ever you decide place the caliper.

Early 720 spindles are different parts than the later ones.

Make life easy. Just get all or none.

I know the splines are different. It might not work if the cv axles are different lengths as well.
  • Like 1
  • 3 years later...

This long weekend was 40% off day at the local JY. I pulled 720 RWD spindles, rotors, hubs, and calipers for this upgrade. The hoses and ball joints were well worn so I left them in the yard. The rotors are pretty scaley but I took them and the rotors just to be safe, but found I could have left them both. New Raybestors clearance rotors were $11 each at RA, with shipping <$40 shipped, and my hubs appear to be identical, but still have to mike bearing races and spindles to be sure.

Now that I want to buy pads, caliper kits, and hoses, I find there are multiple part numbers listed for RWD vehicles on RA?

Very puzzled I went to nissanpartsdeal.com and found there were two different calipers made for 720's RWD, one by Nichirin, and one by Hitachi both with different part numbers. I also found there are two different calipers made for 4x4 by the same two companies.

Now I don't know which parts to order. Anybody know how to tell the two manufacturers apart?

This long weekend was 40% off day at the local JY. I pulled 720 RWD spindles, rotors, hubs, and calipers for this upgrade. The hoses and ball joints were well worn so I left them in the yard. The rotors are pretty scaley but I took them and the rotors just to be safe, but found I could have left them both. New Raybestors clearance rotors were $11 each at RA, with shipping <$40 shipped, and my hubs appear to be identical, but still have to mike bearing races and spindles to be sure.

Now that I want to buy pads, caliper kits, and hoses, I find there are multiple part numbers listed for RWD vehicles on RA?

Very puzzled I went to nissanpartsdeal.com and found there were two different calipers made for 720's RWD, one by Nichirin, and one by Hitachi both with different part numbers. I also found there are two different calipers made for 4x4 by the same two companies.

Now I don't know which parts to order. Anybody know how to tell the two manufacturers apart?

you would have to know the year truck you pulled it off. 80-82 has style A. 83+ have style B. Along with the 4x4s have different styles i believe as well. You'd need to find out what year the truck was you took parts off of and go from there or even try your local parts place. Some parts its nice to get locally for this reason.