Hi, Thanks, and I might have screwed up

DrvnDrvr

Hi and thanks for all who have contributed with writeups, how to's and all the pics. You have saved me a lot of time and money.

About a month ago I bought a 83 720 4x4. Was told is has a recently rebuilt engine. The rest is in pretty good shape except for 2 things I don't know what to do about.

!. the middle of the parking brake linkage is missing. I'm trying to find the parts @ rockauto and http://www.nissanpartsdeal.com. I'm pretty sure I'll find them eventually.

2. the holes that support the rear of the lower raduis arms are rusted out and I have no idea of how to fix that. I searched  Ratsun and the other 720 forums and found no mentioin of this problem. If something was written up about this please give me link or any suggestion would be helpful.

IMG_5562_zpsk97ri07j.jpg

IMG_5560_zps8cfoxkrj.jpg

I've ordered the washers,grommets and spindle sleeves for both sides as they are toast but have yet to figure out how to mend the frame so they don't get damaged again. I took it to Les Swaub for an alignment and they said everything was tight except for this problem. Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this.

I figured out the CV axles were the wrong ones as they have the snapring groove about an inch in , not at the end. The right cv axle had about 2" of play in and out. They should arrive from rockauto next Tues.

The local junkyards here in Bend Or. only had an 86 and 89 and they're pretty stripped.

Took the front and gas tank skidplates thinking they were the find of the century but only to find out they are both slightly different from my 83.

My modified 86 hardbody skidplate waiting to be welded

IMG_5532_zpsjlbyanun.jpg

http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah240/mollie8446DrvnDrvr/IMG_5531_zpsgyfrjrvh.jpgIMG_5531_zpsgyfrjrvh.jpg

Haven't got to modfifing the front one yet.

Here a link to all the photos I've taken so far:

http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/mollie8446DrvnDrvr/media/IMG_5532_zpsjlbyanun.jpg.html?sort=3&o=16

I plan on repainting and fixing the truck up to be my daily driver. I realise it's gonna take time and money but I really like the body lines on these 720s as I had one 15 years ago only not 4x4. I'm quite fond of the interior for roominess over my yota standard cab. That ones gonna be my wood cutting/snowplow truck. It's quite beat up by now and not really worth doing anything cosmetic to.

I don't plan on doing this to my 720:

Toy%20Wood_zpsiamyl9or.jpg

I'd like to go dark forest green, slotted mag wheels and BF goodrich AT/TAs.  Gonna do the camper shell/carpet kit thing on the bed for my puppy. Got a whole shopping list of things that I need to get this rig back to original condition as possible but will wait until I figure out the raduis arm issue.

It came with a brand new panasonic stereo with 4 new speakers that really kick. ALso 2 really good condition seats froma late model Nissan SUV. The only thing I did to the interior was replace the heater core. That was not a fun day. Wish I had found ratsun before that.

IMG_5527_zpsphtn9gqv.jpg

IMG_5526_zpspy8v4slo.jpg

IMG_5535_zpsf2tjn3vm.jpg

Pretty clean engine:

IMG_5537_zpsw9tsrr9q.jpg

IMG_5539_zpsyyoztuzv.jpg

IMG_5549_zpscel70het.jpg

IMG_5542_zpsk0fklloy.jpg

Once again thanks to anyone that can help with radius arm problem. That one really has me stumped. I can travel to the Willamette valley if someone has a good fix for that.

Ratsun Rocks,

Al

P.S. moderators: in the future I will post pics at 640x480, didn't realize that's better until I read the FAQ on posting pics, sorry and thanks for that write-up.

• Like 3
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just weld washers to it. That's what my body shop did.

Mahalo ggzilla, I'm was thinkin there a simple fix for this problem. I just need to find a welder that knows what their doing.Tall order here in Central Oregon as there's a lotta bull$hitters. Poverty with a view and all.

• Like 1

Nice looking truck. Welcome to Ratsun. What are you looking for. We have a yard here that I frequent. It gets 720's fairly regularly. I can keep a look out for you.

I have a buddy in Prineville. I'll ask who he would recommend locally. 

• Like 3

Nice looking truck. Welcome to Ratsun. What are you looking for. We have a yard here that I frequent. It gets 720's fairly regularly. I can keep a look out for you.

I have a buddy in Prineville. I'll ask who he would recommend locally. 

Thanks Jester, I'm gonna concentrate on the rusted out  radius arm thing. I want to get it road worthy before I start getting all the bells and whistles.  I plan on dropping a couple grand into this truck so I'll get alot further with junkyards than OEM stuff.

But since you asked:

Nice grill guard

visor clips-pref grey

hood height adjustment thingies

the parts missing from the parking brake linkage i'll work on a parts list

inside insert for tailgate or tailgate protector for inside and top of tailgate.

one of those plastic Protecto bedliner/tailgate protector sets would be sweet

chrome looking bezel for instrument panel sure liked that rasta one posted  a little while back

clock for instrument panel

got a line on a working speedo for my favorite price, $0.00 but don't have it  yet

lug wrench and jack not sure where or how they mount in the cab

The chrome piece that goes on the passenger side gutter above the door

Nice slotted mag or white spoke rims

Hinge for glove box

Not sure if I'm going with Nissan or Datsun embleming or how much chroming up I'm gonna do but that will be later after I get the basics up to par.

That a small list for starters, I have the first half of May off so I'll have time to get over there and do something about it.

Please ask your buddy in P-ville if he knows a good welder/mechanic to help me with my radius arm problem. It's a good bit out of my league. Many thanks.

• Like 1

I talked to my buddy (Brian) in Prineville. He is a Datsun guy too. He said he would be willing to do the work at his shop. He is the owner of a small automotive shop. 

PM me your name and number and I'll forward the info. 

If the number you send me is a cell, I can text you pics next time I'm at the J/Y. Hell, Brian probably has some of the stuff your looking for anyway. He's a 720 guy. 

Jes

• Like 2

I talked to my buddy (Brian) in Prineville. He is a Datsun guy too. He said he would be willing to do the work at his shop. He is the owner of a small automotive shop. 

PM me your name and number and I'll forward the info. 

If the number you send me is a cell, I can text you pics next time I'm at the J/Y. Hell, Brian probably has some of the stuff your looking for anyway. He's a 720 guy. 

Jes

Thanks Jes . I pmed you my number. I found a semi retired25 yr "alignment only" mechanic to fix it but will need help with alot of the other issues this 720 has.

Come to find out the front crossmember is slightly bent causing the strut pins to rub on the frame guides causing the rust. It was previously misdiagnosed and poorly repaired . Guy says he'll straighten the frame and repair the strut pin supports, fix idler arm, align and do some welding.

Still looking for someone to fine tune the weber carb/timing and drivetrain work.  Has the timing set all the way one way. It gets crappy mileage and diesels and has oil/crud encrusted tranny and transfer box. Not to mention finding all the little odds and ends I'm looking for. A local 720 guy would be great for that. Thanks again and look forward to hearing for you'all.

• Like 1