"NEEDY" The unsatisfying 521.

konig209

Welp here is needy. Got this truck from a friend. An odd deal. But its worked out so far. But i cant sell.

name comes from it needing something every dam weekend. Lol

Well since i've owned this truck it's gotten new shocks up front.
New wheels.
New exhaust....pretty effin loud by the way.
Harness redone (under dash and engine bay)
2 alts.
2 starters.
An engine.
Electronic dizzy.

Tonight just got a internal reg alt. If you guys saw how bad the one i just pulled is. You would ask how it didn't burn down while i was at work. Lol.

Well here it is.

20150110_104939.jpg

20150110_104313.jpg

20150208_152930.jpg

20150314_153158.jpg

20150329_133238.jpg

20150331_005740.jpg

20150331_002406.jpg

20150329_185112.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp here is needy. Got this truck from a friend. An odd deal. But its worked out so far. But i cant sell.

name comes from it needing something every dam weekend. Lol

Well since i've owned this truck it's gotten new shocks up front.

New wheels.

New exhaust....pretty effin loud by the way.

Harness redone (under dash and engine bay)

2 alts.

2 starters.

An engine.

Electronic dizzy.

Tonight just got a internal reg alt. If you guys saw how bad the one i just pulled is. You would ask how it didn't burn down while i was at work. Lol.

Well here it is.

20150110_104939.jpg

20150110_104313.jpg

20150208_152930.jpg

20150314_153158.jpg

20150329_133238.jpg

20150331_005740.jpg

20150331_002406.jpg

20150329_185112.jpg

I like your list its really short one day you can see my list, oh wait we will need to climb a tall mountain to let it out this long list.lol

• Like 4

Well that list has divided between 11 521s in the last 6 months......sooooo the list is pretty long and pretty hard to mod that many when i dont make much have bills and bought a 2 door corolla wagon. But i sold all the rest of the 521s. Now down to only 2 and my corolla.

• Like 2
Well that list has divided between 11 521s in the last 6 months......sooooo the list is pretty long and pretty hard to mod that many when i dont make much have bills and bought a 2 door corolla wagon. But i sold all the rest of the 521s. Now down to only 2 and my corolla.[/quo

I think you hit the hammer on the nail in that statement.

• Like 1

Datson yeah. Front rides soooo much beter. Fixing the rear this weekend.

When my corolla is done im returning this truck back to its owner and going to drop funds into the black truck. Every other day i add more to the want list but that only keeps making it a longer project. I may just do the engine bay and swap this spring. Then tear down again in the winter.

• Like 1

I got Ratsun running with an internally regulated alternator, I had in my stash of Datsun parts from the 1980's.  It did not have any alternator in it when I bought it.  I jumped the two pairs of wires on the engine side of the voltage regulator plug to make it work.  That worked for about a year and a half.   Then that alternator's internal regulator went bad, and I got a stock external regulated alternator, and put that one on the engine.  I removed the jumpers, plugged the voltage regulator back in, did some checks, and every thing seemed fine.  Next morning it cranked slow, but started.  The second day after, no crank, dead battery.

It turned out that there is white wire, with a blue stripe hooked to the fuse block, that supplied power to the voltage regulator.  This wire should be on the ignition switched hot side of the fuse block, but was on the always hot side of the fuse block.  I moved the wire to it's proper location, and no problems since.

Everything on a stock Datsun 521 is switched somewhere.  Even if you have the very rare clock option, it only switched on very occasionally, and just long enough to wind a spring that runs the clock.  The stock radio has no "memory"  that keeps radio stations.  it is just a mechanical tuning, that physically relocates back to the selected station.  The point is there should be NO electrical drain on a switched off Datsun 521.  A test light between a removed battery cable, and the batttery terminal should not light, at all.

• Like 1

I repair every single harness before starting. Everyone is de-loomed inspected anything uneeded removed anything burn fixed with matching colors. Ive done my homework. But thanks for the tips.

Did you know ign off all wires are grounded. Well most.

ign on most are hot.

If the grounds arnt good your batt explodes.

• Like 1

"Did you know ign off all wires are grounded. Well most."

Not really. For example, if you check continuity to ground of the headlghts, when they are off, with an ohmmeter, or a hot or ground indicating test light, they will test "grounded" because the current used by most test equipment is a few milliamps, if that.  So, checking the "hot" side on something that uses several amps will show a "short" to ground.

• Like 1