Datsun original VS modified, what's worth more?

I love both stock and modified.  Finding a stock 510 is hard, but finding a 510 thats been moded right is hard as well. Lets face it, there are a LOT of dipshits out there molesting the shit out of these cars, so even when modified, we have to fix their modifications and do it right.  I personally love both, Art is fun to cruise in, go to shows, and just enjoy on sunny days.  But purple (my lz 2.2 510) is fun to take out when by myself and drive like a fucking moron since i have no kids or wife in the car.    Im 50/50, stock has its pros, and modified has its pros.  So if you are looking at 2, i would take whichever has the most value to it / makes you excited.

...and I think having one of each is the best way to go! I am actually curious to keep my new wagon totally stock, just to see what it is like. And I still have my LZ. But if I am going to put money into the wagon anyway, carb, brake and suspension upgrades may be the way to go.

^^&^ That's how I feel about them, too. Both are exciting! And, if you're blessed enough to have them both, KEEP them both!! :thumbup:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just sold a fully clean stock 521 for alot more than a ka 521 that was also clean, the stock one sold way faster

I see it like wife hunting, u want a stock clean title low miles wife? Or salvage wife that has been thru many owners

Idk just my $.02

I love this comparison! No one wants to settle forever with that ol' rode hard, stinky, sloppy, torn inside, temperamental and kept up just enough to put out then passed on to a buddy when over it's bull shit salvage title!

I'm sure someone has already said something to this effect.

I love a car that has had things modified to make it better without changing the essence of the car. Subtle details that may have been intended but might have been changed for complying with standards type stuff.

I am of the opinion that we shouldn't have to change much on a car visually to enhance it. I do like both genre of resto-mod and purist. They hold equal value if done with great attention to craftsmanship.

• Like 1

As an artist,  and I think you are a good one, would you rather paint on a clean unmolested piece of canvas that was stores in good conditions, for the last 20 to 40 years, or a piece of canvas from a pile of first paintings, done by students or first time painters dabbling with oil paints?

I find that Nissan engineers, and designers did a pretty good job.  Of course, there are limits.   Would you rather deal with electrical problems on a stock wiring Datsun, or one that has had a GM alternator hacked in, wiring all cut up, and maybe tucked under the inner fenders, and exposed to road spray?

Are you sure the work you did on the suspension was an improvement?   Did the person or shop that rebuilt the engine really understand all the complexities of the valve train geometry of an OHC engine?  Did they find a minor warp in the cylinder head, and know the top of the head had to be machined flat, along as the bottom, and know that would screw up the length of the camchain?    Did they have all the measurement tools, and cleanliness of the factory that put that L-16 together 45 yeara ago?    Did that engine assembler have 3 or 4 stock sized pistons, all within the tolerance of a stock piston diameter, but were very slightly different diameters, to match very slightly different size cylinder bores?   Was the rebuilt block rebored with a torque plate on the engine?

For me, the body is inviolate. This IS the car and the first thing you see. To alter the body is to deny that it was made properly by it's maker and is not perfection personified. It pains me to see hood pins just like it pains me to see nipple peircings. Box flairs are inplants... and so on. Wheel choice is like jewelry and should be tastful and ellegant. The body does not evolve but the drive train can and has. Technology has moved on and what moves it and makes it handle can be limited only by your imaginatinn, ability or pocketbook. But respect the body for the beautiful shape it came in.

• Like 3

For me, the body is inviolate. This IS the car and the first thing you see. To alter the body is to deny that it was made properly by it's maker and is not perfection personified. It pains me to see hood pins just like it pains me to see nipple peircings. Box flairs are inplants... and so on. Wheel choice is like jewelry and should be tastful and ellegant. The body does not evolve but the drive train can and has. Technology has moved on and what moves it and makes it handle can be limited only by your imaginatinn, ability or pocketbook. But respect the body for the beautiful shape it came in.

Still agree.