Need input here.

peekin220

I'm looking for additional input here. basically sky is not the limit with cash. looking to spend upwards of 7k is my high.

my interests are getting a datsun 620 with sr20det and full coilovers with disc breaks. do you think it can be done? im not a mechanic. i thinking a cheap datsun pickup and a 240sx already having a sr20 in it. and paying someone to do the work here? that or im scanning craigslist to find one now.. 

how would you go about obtaining my goal with 7k cash? 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi 220 and welcome to Ratsun.

Wow I don't know... paying someone to do the work? We've had several members pay to have work done and didn't think to check the builders qualifications and worse they paid in advance. Work got too hard for the builder it got delayed, money ran out because they didn't have a solid plan or knowledge of what was needed. The worst builds were the ones that were completed... they were totally unsafe hack jobs. There are probably lots of fools out there willing to take your money. This is a one way trip to the poor house.

Research, research, research. Where possible do or learn to do your own work. Be totally involved and know more about it than the guy doing it, so you are on top of everything. Read everything about this and related SR swaps in other vehicles. Any questions write them down and look for the answers. This will likely give you some idea of what it will cost.

Set out a plan for time and expenses and include everything needed from your research. Don't assume your buddy with his fathers stick welder is going to knock out a custom set of motor mounts for you. If you are not prepared to do the work yourself, you need someone who CAN, and do it right, someone with experience doing this swap.

Over on the upper right of every page is the search function. You can also use Google and includ the word Ratsun in your search question. Below are several found by typing "SR swap into 620"

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/39481-sr20det-1976-datsun-620/?p=618542

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/21046-sr20det-77-620/

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/29095-sr20-det-transfer-into-a-620/

• Like 1

Project Car magazine did a write-up a while ago about putting an SR20DE into a 620. Search for that. 

7k on top of the price of the truck? Or including? 

Reality may hit you hard because of your imagination. 

Great first post. Good intro. Welcome?

The problem with custom stuff is you hit a lot of complications.  Stuff just doesn't turn out the way you planned it.  Motor mounts are only one part of it.  I had my engine in and out about 6-7 times trying to sort everything out.  At every step, there were a new set of problems.  Somebody who actually had to make money on this type of project would have charged a premium  

Here's a guys build that was pretty well documented and the execution was pretty good, but he is also a pretty good welder.  How much you decide to deviate from his build is entirely up to you, but it is a proven path.

http://datsunminitruckin.com/sr20det-620_topic7_page13.html

This is list of basic parts I can think of from the top of my head:

engine/trans $2000

customized driveshaft $200

front brake disc brake upgrade $200-$400 depending on how you source the rest of the parts

master cylinder $50-$120 depending on condition of master cylinder

coilover kit $500

So I listed over $3000 in parts and that's by no means a complete list.  If you were amazingly lucky you could figure labor in at the same as the amount of parts so it puts you around $6000. I'm very doubtful in could be done for $7000.  My advice would be to do it in sections.  Do the chassis and brakes first and keep the engine on the side and clean up while you gather cash to finish the engine install.