Weber problem

620connor

Hey guys, i have a problem with my carb.

I just purchased a new 32/36 genuine weber (made in spain) and after i installed it on my truck, i started it up and set the idle A/F ratio and she was idling as smooth as glass. The next day i was driving it and all of a sudden the idle dropped all by itself and i could barley keep it running. I drove it home and i adjusted the idle A/F ratio, and i had to back the screw out 2 full revolutions to get it to idle good again. So i drove it and it seemed fine. Then 2 days later the idle suddenly dropped all by itself again and i could barley keep it running to get it home. Then i had to adjust the idle A/F ratio screw 2 full turns back in to where i had it set before to get it to idle smooth again. I've never heard of a carb doing this before, could anyone give me some advice on what is wrong? Or how to possibly fix this? My truck is a 74 620 with the L18 engine. Thank you.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll bet butterflys are not closing intermittently. If partially open when setting a/f.....closed will act up. Polish edge of butterflys/venturi/throttle shaft/bushing with mothers alum polish after deburring with worn scotchbrite-400wet/dry(q-tips in dremel work good 2 polish shaft bushing). Clean all polish up...use blue paper towels/qtips w/ carb/choke till no residue. Shy away from adding spring tension to keep em closed...accelerates shaft/bush wear. use good anti seize compound(sparkly stuff) when assembling. I have one fuel filter @ gas tank...one @ firewall...one between pump/carb. Dirt will taint a new carb. Wouldn't trust a new one out of the box till I verified clean inside. Dirt is the enemy.....ethanol dirts' close cousin.

Harlow426- Okay i'll try setting my idle low and readjusting the idle a/f, and check for burrs and polish.

Dr.feltersnatch- I don't think i have any any vacuum leaks but i will double check, i locked everything down pretty tight.

Datzenmike- I locked everything down super tight and used blue locktight. My fuel filter isn't new but it only has like 10k miles on it. Should i replace it?

Banzai510- My fuel filter is clear, and there is debris in there for sure. If i shake it small black debris swirls around.

Kelowg- I'll try cleaning the idle jet.

Thanks for the help/advice everyone, i appreciate it alot.