320 Rescue

nukeday

Here is the 320 at my house:

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/nukeday/Dadsun%20Trucks/320/

I didn't unwrap the E1, but it's in the back of the bed. Dad found the starter for it in one of the boxes of parts that were in the trucks. He actually did one of those punch the air, OH YEAH!! dances, it was pretty comical. :lol:

Oil filter and carb are still on the engine. Looks like the clutch and flywheel are also in the parts boxes. I'll need some help ID'ing which of the two flywheels I have is the right one for this engine. Photos of the parts bins soon.

There is still a battery in this truck, and my first question is: What is the ground polarity? The starter is a valuable little bit, and I don't want to fry any of the gauges when I try to put it together. I ordered a 61-70 Datsun Chilton's for it today.

280_8013.jpg

Please excuse the cramped photo here, I haven't treated the hood hinges yet and didn't want to try to open the hood any further.

Like to put it back together, advice and gotcha's appreciated. If you folks want more specific photos of any certain area, just say the word. Photos are easy compared to sorting through all the parts that came with these things...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two flywheels. One is very thick, the ring gear appears to actually be formed into the piece. I can take more photos if needed. There are markings on the thick one: In a top to bottom pattern: M 5. In stamped letters across another part of the face: A87 JAPAN. This one also has 3 pressed in pins on the clutch side.

The other flywheel is much lighter, and I cannot find any markings on it. The cross section on this one has a sort of bell curve to it. Meaning the center is sort of bowled and then raised again where it bolts to the crank. This one appears to have a pressed on ring gear.

Thanks for any help on these. :)

HEAVY one piece unit:

280_8031.jpg

280_8034.jpg

Lighter unit:

280_8032.jpg

280_8033.jpg

Hey Mark.

Here in Bullhead is a guy that rewinds starters. He builds some killer ones for guys with high compression boats. Could He rewind those?

Here is His number and address. He is a very nice, reliable Man. Truly one of the last left in this area automotive-wise. Any help I can give, please let Me know.

BSA Bullhead Starters and Alternators

Henry (owner) Cesar (employee)

1115 Hancock Road Bullhead City, Az. 86442

928-758-9392

• 4 weeks later...

Stuck the E1 in today, the clutch/pp/flywheel were still on it. The clutch master is full of crystaline, white gunk, but the fork pulled back enough to get the engine in.

It's sitting on the crossmember ATM, as I didn't have time to get the motor mounts back in. It's bolted together on 4 corners, so to speak.

Both of the fuel pump bungs are torn up, one is broken off, and the other is bent and crimped very badly. Anyone know the size of the elbow (output of fuel pump to carb)?

Brake pedal seems stuck, won't move at all. I haven't removed the reservoir cap yet, it's nearly rusted on. I shot it with some PB, and will continue to search for my strap oil filter wrench.

With the engine in, it still seems to roll freely. There is a spring on the slave that is just hanging, so I need to figure out where that goes.

My intention is to clean/refurbish only what needs work. I expect to have to rebuild both the master and slave, and probably the brake master and wheel cylinders. The engine was covered in the bed for quite some time with the valve cover and dizzy cap off. The distributor is corroded and chalky and there is a lot of acquired dirt/dust on the head and valve train. What's the best bet for cleaning the head without pulling it? I'll have to look at it again, but I think I'm going to plug the oil galley holes and spray it real good with MMO and try to blow that crap out of there. I have a small compressor I can borrow.

Any tips for blowing out the brake lines/clutch system? Is there a fitting of some sort that would make this easier?

I posted some of this at ODPL, but the site has moved and is SO busy it's driving me nuts.

Thanks for any comments :mellow:

Well, it's actually my dad's truck. I have no idea how long he's had it or where he got it. He has sort of a magical ability to find these trucks.

Thanks for the info on the brakes/clutch. I could sure use that crossover list, or PN's.

Curious if anyone could take photos of the column linkage for me? One of the actuating arms is disconnected from the horseshoe, and it looks like there are parts missing, so I can't figure out how to put it back together. I downloaded all the pdf manuals for the 320, but they are just adding to my confusion.

I pulled the fuel pump off to replace both of the bungs, and it's full off chalky white gunk, looks a lot like the float bowl in the carb.

I'm pretty sure the carb is the Niko (not the Hitachi), is there a kit out there for it?

279_7998.jpg

279_7999.jpg

This truck really appears to be very unmolested, I thought this was pretty cool. Both headlights have this mark, and appear to be OEM. Wow. :D

280_8005.jpg

Later model brake parts, like wheel cylinders and Master cylinder, even clutch master will fit, I've got a parts crossover list somewhere of Napa part #'s, hell, I still have the boxes because I just did mine. Saw the Wa. plates, where did you pick it up?

I too would be interested in your part # crossover list. Had a hell of a time finding brake parts for my old 65 320...the Napa guy even told me i owned a 66 520..ummm no :rolleyes:

I too would be interested in your part # crossover list. Had a hell of a time finding brake parts for my old 65 320...the Napa guy even told me i owned a 66 520..ummm no :rolleyes:

same here. I'm sure there are more members also interested. I'm planing on getting my 320 roadworthy soon. I just need to finish these dang rocker panels.

• 8 months later...

The 320 is patiently waiting in the weeds for some attention, but I thought I'd try to percolate this thread a bit.

My dad has a cobbled together 320 at his place with a B210 rear end and no engine or driveshaft. I'm curious what's involved in putting an A motor in a 320? Anyone bothered to try this?

My dad has a cobbled together 320 at his place with a B210 rear end and no engine or driveshaft. I'm curious what's involved in putting an A motor in a 320? Anyone bothered to try this?

i got done taking an A motor out of my nl320. if you want i could dig up the pics of it. the mounts looked really simple to do.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...