Getting the cam sprocket back on

But if you cut the spring, the tensioner won't last as long right? Because as the chain wears the tensioners surface and you have a shorter less psi spring won't it start to rattle? I know, oil pressure is what keeps tension on the tensioner and chain but oil pressure is only part of the equation as that springs length=pressure to also help to keep the correct amount of pressure on the chain as the tensioners face starts to wear otherwise the chain will push the tensioner in and out to easily possibly causing a rattle not to mention diffusing cam timing.

This has never been a problem.

I'll say it again for all you who may not be convinced. I've done it at least 100 times. It works fine.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cut it in half.

I also make sure the curved guide geomotry is good. If need be I will use an extra rubber washer on the plunger shaft to space the tensioner out to meet the curved guide. And don't be afraid to slot the holes in the curved guide to get better alignment.

Epilogue: This is why Ratsun works for the common man...

As I sifted trough the advice given on this topic, I was once again deeply impressed with this community and the willingness to share information, especially with novices, like me. Most experienced 720 mechanics may not have ridden themselves up this box canyon, but once done, you were all willing to help me out. Many, many thanks. Ratsun is amazing.

I ordered one of these tools pictured above, used it, and immediately upon gronking how it all works, sort of improved upon it a little. Having nothing to lose really, I set a socket onto the main pulley bold and commenced to nudging it back and forth while trying to lift and nudge the sprocket back on using a 3/8 extension bar and a lot of really good swearing. Just when I was about to give up, I caught the lip on the top edge of the sprocket and eased it on the rest of the way with the keeper bolt. Holy shit! The nudging technique worked!

Once the sprocket was on all the way, I turned the engine over with the ratchet wrench, two full revolutions, to make sure the tensioner was in there and working and that my overall engine timing set up was on the money. Everything is bingo!

Thanks again, guys.

• Like 2