body shop disaster

Be nicer rather than a dick, unless you are willing to actually pull the car out and risk losing your money it will just cause trouble and or shitty work. Hiring a lawyer and going to court will cost more than 3 grand to get your money back. Tell the shop it's lined up to go to a fabricator shortly after the 20th so it needs to be done by then. Or any other believable story to give them a firm deadline. Good luck, I'm sure it will turn out fine. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my wagon and Fairlane are as good mechanically as I can get them. both need minor amounts of body work and then to be shot with color but I just don't trust shops anymore. the guys who I do trust are older than dirt and I have this unfounded, irrational fear of them dying while my car is in their custody and having it get tied up in probate for a decade or two.

I can do detail work, some upholstery work, electrical and quite a bit of mechanical stuff but have never attempted any kind of body work. The elderly guy who really brought me up in the hobby hated body work with a passion (though he could do it and do it well) and I think he instilled in me his distaste for the work.

In thirty years of messing with cars, I have never ever tried to beat out a panel or spread bondo. Every time I consider doing body work I hear that old man in my head, "Son, if you're a decent mechanic you'll always make your clients happy but if you mess up on a hood or a driver's fender a man will cuss you every time he gets in his car and he'll trash you all over town!".

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Took car out 

before The property damage sue is legally allowed (3 years) 

Taking him to small claims court 

just wondering whether I should also sue him for the damage he caused on the rust and uncompleted job 

I understand I shouldn't pay upfront 

but I thought I could trust the guy 

Then again I don't think I did something legally wrong 

Took car out 

before The property damage sue is legally allowed (3 years) 

Taking him to small claims court 

just wondering whether I should also sue him for the damage he caused on the rust and uncompleted job 

I understand I shouldn't pay upfront 

but I thought I could trust the guy 

Then again I don't think I did something legally wrong 

Man... Just be very firm with what you see necessary! Best wishes. :mellow:

i would get enough for another paint job, car needs to be sandblasted wherever water, oil from hands touched bare metal, cant really tell but why was it halfway sealed ?if moisture got under the primer

AT ALL it needs to be redone or it will pop 2-3 years from now.

probably dont want to here this but a painter i know personally would strip it all the way back down and start all over if any thing like that happened, just to guarantee a job done right and a paint job that will last for 20+ more years

probably dont want to here this but a painter i know personally would strip it all the way back down and start all over if any thing like that happened, just to guarantee a job done right and a paint job that will last for 20+ more years

This is the only way to make sure it will last without the "pop"

Plus,if they threw it out in the weather , who knows how they didnt repair anything that needed.

• 4 months later...

Took the guy to court

small claims went to the process

went to the trial date

he and she didn't show up

judge granted

now I have to collect my money

(which everyone says is the hard part)

and then

I start looking for a body shop that is willing and trustworthy

• Like 2

I would explore the DIY angle, I bought a sandblaster at harbor freight in '06, sand blasted everything except fenders, doors, trunk lid and quarter windows, then my brother in law sprayed with an anti rust agent, sealed it, primed it and painted, we did all of this in his garage, it's not difficult at all, just takes lots of patience, it does help to know an experienced body & paint guy (my bro in law), but I would have tackled it anyway, determination!!!