way out there thread.......rear end swap....

Llittle_Llama

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was to 'the yard' and got some measurements across the rear end widths. This is from the surface the rim sits against from one side to the other. I have no idea what the 620 width is, I running an '82 rear but I think it's

slightly wider. Anyone???

150cm or 59.1" '93 Path VG30, H-233, 4.375 ratio, drum brakes, non-p0si

150cm or 59.1" '91 Path VG30, H-233, 4.625 ratio, disc brakes, non-posi

147.5cm or 58.1" D-21 HB Z24i, H-190-ML, 3.889 ratio, drum brakes.

143cm or 56.35" '85 720 Z24, H-190-ML, 3.70 ratio, drum brakes

well i devinately want to run rear disc, not for any reason other for the looks. i dont want to put this much money into the drift truck and then have drums, lol. what would the best rear be to go with for the disc and posi? the ones you listed said NON POSI, so the other 2 did have posi?

It was an option on the VG equipped Path abd D-21 HB. These just didn't have it. I checked last w/end by turning the axles.

I'm checking on another forum about axle lengths. Would be nice if the D-21 HB axle with disc were the same length as the stock 620.

For posi LSD you would have to swap the whole rear end as the 233mm ring gear would NEVER fit the 190 housing.

As you can see the Path/HB rears with the H-233 (lsd) are about 3" overall wider than the 720 rear. How wide is the 620 rear end from outer drum surface to outer drum surface???

dwnshfter, I have to ask - do you read other the projects on here that are related/relevant to your project? The reason I ask is I know of 3 truck projects(mine, fineline and redeye's 620) here on ratsun that are/will use a H190 rear with LSD and disc brakes. All of these questions have been answered in detail.

The swap to the larger 233 is a different story.

The short version for the H190 is precision power brute LSD (costs about $400) and Beebani/Fineline trooper rear disc brake brackets.

The wms to wms on my 73 H-190 is 55". So 3" diff to the HB H-233b. Not a big deal. The LSD option in the Pathfinders seems pretty common. I have seen a few in my time and I would assume the discs are not interchangeable to the housings meant foe drums. So far so good with my H-190 LSD. I'm starting to get the tune right in mine and the rear end is fine. The fact that these things are so light in the rear keeps the thing from hooking super hard. It sounds like you have plenty of other things to be spending your hard earned $ on right now.

well is there an issue of running the stock axle for now? should i just put all my effort into the motor swap for the moment? only reason i was hitting this so hard is that this is the one thing i can do on my own. i can go, by myself to the JY and find and pull the axle, do all the running around getting the axles and everything done, then take it to the shop so we can start the install. thats the only reason i was thinking about this so much....

I'm sure that you want to keep all nissan, but, you should consider looking into a square body style Ranger rear end. A lot of them are the same rear end that ford used in the 5.0 mustangs. They are 56 3/4" outer hub to outer hub. There is another great part about them, one of the axle shafts is around 2" shorter than the other. The pumpkin was off centered from the factory on the Rangers. So all you have to do is get another short axle shaft, and shorten one of the axle housings. Blam!!! You have a shortened rear end.

The wms to wms on my 73 H-190 is 55". So 3" diff to the HB H-233b.

I've been told that the later 620 H190 are 1.5"s wider than the early 620 H190.

I never did verify that with a tape, but Icehouse had to flare his 78, I had to just roll the lips to fit my 77to fit the same wheels and tires.

I'm going to continue running that 77 rear (unless I find a free H233 to narrow).

Gotta tuck those 18"s :D

I'm sure he does.

I think if I can gather the parts, my narrowish 77 H190 will end up will 4:11's the LSD and an aluminum diff housing. Right now though I'm working on getting the axle housing itself attached to my frame...and making more $ for parts :D

• 1 month later...