Damn starter... keep going thru starters????

chebetio510

i get a starter... put it in.. last about 3 months.. then it starts going out.. not wanting to start... sometimes when its hot wont star... put in a gear reduction starter... lasted exactly 3 months now starting to go bad... i have the "hard start" relay.. and still??? im guessing im burning up the solenoids? please hlp.. tired of s=changing starters or having to push start while trying to pick up some girls... lol:D

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How does your wiring look? What gauge? How's your battery? You could be starving the starter and causing premature failure.

well the wiring there is pretty clean... i had my friend an old school; electrician do it... i'll try to get a picture up tomorrow... what about the battery?? hmmm now that u mention it... in the past i was also having an issue with the battery... i bought a new one.. less than a month the acid started leaking out... replaced it and this one has been good.,... once in a while it looks wet... how does the battery cause the premature failure

Any part that isn't working optimally is going to reduce the current to the starter making it unable to turn the motor over and simply generate more heat in the starter and do damage to the commutator/brushes/solenoid contacts/relay contacts. You might also want to check the voltage at your battery when the engine is running and see if you're over volting it (like if the alternator regulator is malfunctioning) which can "boil" the battery and kill it quickly. Personally I wouldn't use anything less than 4ga to wire up battery/alternator/starter.

all good suggestions!

dont be getting cheap chinese starters either. makes you drink like peter :lol:

lifetime warranties are good in theses situations, unless your getting cheap starters. :cursing:

Any part that isn't working optimally is going to reduce the current to ...

everything w/ poor connections is also contributing to it. clean the connections!

all good suggestions!

dont be getting cheap chinese starters either. makes you drink like peter :lol:

lifetime warranties are good in theses situations, unless your getting cheap starters. :cursing:

everything w/ poor connections is also contributing to it. clean the connections!

I've heard a lot of the remaned starters are failing. I've got a friend who's starter has failed several times and hes pretty sure it is due to poor quality rebuild.

I agree, get some warrenties.

bingo.

also most lifetime warranties are there for a reason. and the reason is poor quality.

good quality starters dont need a warranty.

+ 1. On my 2nd starter in less then 7 months. Being a cheap ass fall victim to auto zones life time warranty starter for 30 bux. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR ........ napa rox !!

+ 1. On my 2nd starter in less then 7 months. Being a cheap ass fall victim to auto zones life time warranty starter for 30 bux. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR ........ napa rox !!

Go to the best parts store there is... the wrecking yard. Any L series starter will fit but try for an L20B or a 280z. Bigger, (slightly) stronger. I had a gear reduction starter from an '84 Maxima on my L20B. You might pay $30 for it but it won't leave you stranded and you won't have to climb under to change it again. And again. And again.

Go to the best parts store there is... the wrecking yard. Any L series starter will fit but try for an L20B or a 280z. Bigger, (slightly) stronger. I had a gear reduction starter from an '84 Maxima on my L20B. You might pay $30 for it but it won't leave you stranded and you won't have to climb under to change it again. And again. And again.

.. hmm.. i was told from a friend about he power cable going to the starter from the battery might be corroded internally and try changing it... Cleaning connections??? on alternator?? ... these were re manufactured... they did my alternator also... no problems.. been more than a year...