mechanical fuel pump issues

PinoyDat210

So my carbs not getting any fuel and none to the filter. I remove the pump and physically hand pump the arm that rides the lobe and it pumps fuel. I reinstall it, once again no fuel. Does anybody have an idea to what's going on it really sucks. Btw I have a 1980 datsun 210 a14 . Thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay I have the spacer, cams torqued. Did valve lash, the only thing I can guess is that the arm isn't riding the lobe properly or the pumps not actuating right. I disconnected the pump and fuel to carb line and hand pump to watch it and fuel was present but when reassembled nothing..

I think the A series has a lobe on the cam and not a bolt on eccentric like the L series.

blocked fuel line?

This is why I asked if it was connected to the fuel line when working it by hand.  If connected to the car's fuel line then it's probably ok. If not working on the engine then maybe the arm is worn or the cam lobe.

Yea well before I had the cam reground I noticed a little uneven wear on the lobe, but thought it would be okay for now. It worked in a previous application. I've read around about the arm resting flat out so it's not riding the probe any longer, I've got new hoses and theirs no blockage because I can get fuel by hand pumping without resistance. So conclusion do I buy a new one, or is it refundable or is it the most feasible just to go the electric route? And the decision being based on the least expensive but the most reliable solution.

Guys... it's an A series. The cam is in the block. The pump arm isn't visible and rides on a lobe on the cam.

Take a look at the pump arm. Can it move to the side far enough to fall of the cam lobe? If not worn then a new one won't help.

Take pump off and use a flashlight and look in pump hole while cranking. You should see a lobe the pump arm rides on. It it worn or damaged?

Get a 3.5 PSI or less electric pump and mount as close to the tank as you can.

• Like 2

So my carbs not getting any fuel and none to the filter. I remove the pump and physically hand pump the arm that rides the lobe and it pumps fuel. I reinstall it, once again no fuel. Does anybody have an idea to what's going on it really sucks. Btw I have a 1980 datsun 210 a14 . Thanks

Well I rechecked the pump and I can't find anything wrong with it, it seemed to pump fine and I know it's installed correctly. Still no fuel to the carb. When I step on the pedal or pull the throttle cable I should see fuel in carb but none. None in float bone dry. I'm beginning to suspect the carb but idk. It's a fairly new rebuilt hitachi and was previously operating fine I drove it. Any ideas?