project 79 620 kc

Hey guys I am new to the datsun community but have always had a soft spot for the 620's and 510's. Ended up selling another project to finally get myself a 620, took a a few months and many trips to look at prospects, but finally I ended up picking a pretty nice little 79 620. Pics are of the day I brought it home.

photo_13_zpsee6e78ee.jpg

photo_23_zps986f5210.jpg

photo_42_zpsbc413916.jpg

The truck overall is in pretty nice shape the only downside to it is the floor of the bed is pretty rusty. 

Overall plans for the truck are too

-fix and repair all the rust and get the body looking good

-por15 frame and all of the under body 

-wheels

-ka24de or Sr20 swap 

-4 pot 300zx brakes/ 280z master brake cylinder and braided lines

• Like 1
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddys dad ended up having some vintage centerline racing wheels laying around the garage that I test fit yesterday. Specs are 15x8.5 unsure of offset. I like the overall look but the poke might be a bit excessive, but its hard to tell really with out tires. 

photo_14_zps2227b2a7.jpg

photo_24_zps5d609674.jpg

I seen this many times somebody gets some cheap or better yet FREE wheels and will cut the truck up to make it work.

What you had is fine and your already done.

the motor bay is clean dont change anything to it.

I get what your saying and that's why I am on the fence about going with these wheels, especially since body parts for these trucks are so hard to find. That being said whats the point in owning a vehicle that's not your daily driver and keeping it stock. This truck was bought to be modified. Also I should note that the wheels are vintage centerline racing wheels that weigh half the weight of those pathfinder steelies.  

I get what your saying and that's why I am on the fence about going with these wheels, especially since body parts for these trucks are so hard to find. That being said whats the point in owning a vehicle that's not your daily driver and keeping it stock. This truck was bought to be modified. Also I should note that the wheels are vintage centerline racing wheels that weigh half the weight of those pathfinder steelies.

Wrong and part right. Your first mistake is making the truck fit those hideous chev/ford off set rims. I could care less if they are vintage anything if they don't fit the vehicle.  Never compromise your vehicle just because you got something laying around  free. The 620 has great lines that the flairs and wheels will totally ruin. It isn't easy doing it right that's why it looks so good when you do.

For mods on my 620 I rigged up flashing side markers. Installed remote control side mirrors and electric windows. Added power steering and a radio antenna that retracts into the A pillar. Carpet from  720, and a day/night rear-view mirror that glues to the windshield with map lights on the bottom from a Monte Carlo. Volt and oil pressure gauges from a 720 that work and a 90 amp alternator and a Maxima gear reduction starter. This adds to my driving comfort and enjoyment way more than the rims and tires that I put on it. (and can't see at all)

• Like 1

Wrong and part right. Your first mistake is making the truck fit those hideous chev/ford off set rims. I could care less if they are vintage anything if they don't fit the vehicle.  Never compromise your vehicle just because you got something laying around  free. The 620 has great lines that the flairs and wheels will totally ruin. It isn't easy doing it right that's why it looks so good when you do.

For mods on my 620 I rigged up flashing side markers. Installed remote control side mirrors and electric windows. Added power steering and a radio antenna that retracts into the A pillar. Carpet from  720, and a day/night rear-view mirror that glues to the windshield with map lights on the bottom from a Monte Carlo. Volt and oil pressure gauges from a 720 that work and a 90 amp alternator and a Maxima gear reduction starter. This adds to my driving comfort and enjoyment way more than the rims and tires that I put on it. (and can't see at all)

Sorry but there is no wrong or right because my taste and my opinion are mine not yours nor anyone elses. Furthermore you posting the mods that you have done on your vehicle further proves the point I am trying to make, the mods may be all fine a dandy for you but in my opinion they were a waste of time, but at the end of the day my opinion is my opinion.  

Yeah was waiting on my after work coffee. Will drink before posting next time. :lol:  If I could get you to cave... good on me, if not, then good on you. I just hate seeing the body lines (any Datsun body lines) changed is all. All my stuff was interior creature comforts but the beauty of the 620 stayed. .

Yeah was waiting on my after work coffee. Will drink before posting next time. :lol:  If I could get you to cave... good on me, if not, then good on you. I just hate seeing the body lines (any Datsun body lines) changed is all. All my stuff was interior creature comforts but the beauty of the 620 stayed. .

I get what your saying the body lines on this truck are beautiful and that's why I have a 620 but my need to modify this thing lay further then creature comforts plus this is not my daily driver it is my project truck. I will most likely not be going with flares because like you were saying they do take away from the awesome lines the truck already has, if anything I would do a mild pull but again not to take away from the body lines, Id do it right. Also you must be busy commenting on peoples projects trying to get them to "cave" because I know 7 outta 10 620 owners on here are running 8 or wider cheap steelies. 

Mike I did this to my markers about 20 years ago, it's not only a great mod but also: adds an element of safety!

Mike I did this to my markers about 20 years ago, it's not only a great mod but also: adds an element of safety!

Gotcha. I see you too have a 79 kc, can you post some pics of what your center console from the shifter back looks like i feel like mine is missing something but I haven't seen enough of the king cabs in person to know.

Was busy today, had the shop to my self so I finished a bunch of stuff on the truck. First I polished all the wheels hopefully I wont have to polish them again cause it sucked.

photo_16_zpsfebe0699.jpg

Then I replaced all four ball joints and greased all the zerks on the truck. This is how they looked.

photo_28_zpsfffd61a6.jpg

photo_18_zps477eb580.jpg

Then I did some body work. I finished the rust patch in the cab I had started the week before and I patched one on the inner rocker underneath the truck. Pounded a few of the smaller dents in the side of the bed out. Then I rolled the fenders. First I hammered the in lip lip. 

photo_26_zps718bec40.jpg

photo_33_zps6e04c609.jpg

Then by hand with the rubber handle end of a 4ft pry bar i massaged the fenders to this.

photo_43_zpsfba5b434.jpg

Finished the day out with some pics of it all

photo_34_zpsf8312fc6.jpg

photo_27_zps9c61e1b6.jpg

photo_17_zpscc6d9ca9.jpg

• Like 2

If you are talking about the cup holder...I made it, I got tired of cleaning up spilled drinks. The rest is stock.

Gotcha yeah I am missing the piece from the shifter back and was wondering what went there, but I wanna put a bench seat in mine.

truck looks sick. I had a 620 flared out like that.  loved it. was only way it would tuck tires.

Keep it up man. Be sure and get an alignment after the ball joints. with them that bad, there was no way it was aligned right.

Yeah I love it, the thing turns heads everywhere I go. Yeah the truck will get an alignment after i replace all the steering linkage.