New/Proud 1979 620 owner

JDMClassic

Hello Ratsun family!

New to the Datsun era and new to project car scene. I am mechanically incline but new to

cars. I know how to do basic maintenance I.E oil changes, brakes, ect.. But not in-depth like engine swaps or anything like that.

With that being said this will be my first project ever. I'm looking forward to learning a lot from these cars. A friend of mine told me that I'll learn the basics from these cars because of the simplicity and easy design. No ECU just straight forward.

I buying this 1979 620 reg cab from this 66 year old man named Frank ( I call him Old Man Frank). We both reside here in San Diego, Ca. I found his listing on Craig's list about him selling his 1979 Datsun 620 project truck for $5000. He was selling it because he need more room in his garage and he didn't have the energy to work on it because of a heart attack he suffered from a few years back. He is the first owner and I'll be the second.

The truck isn't in my ownership yet we don't know how it's going to be smog tested because he didn't want to take my cash yet until he got it up and running. He said the he'll sell it to me under one condition, he asked to be allowed help out on the build with me. Will my low level of knowledge and his high experience I figured we can help each other out. He even severed me lunch after first look at the truck! Anyone that feeds me is considerate a friend to me. I asked him if he was committed to sell the truck to me once we get it up and running and he said he will. Gave me his word.

Here in the state of California requires vehicles manufactured after 1975 to be smoged. With all the aftermarket parts added on to this build it won't pass smog. So we have to find a way to have it legally on the road. This is probably my biggest concern. I'm confident we will get the truck up and running but what's the point of it if I can drive it legally on the streets of California? Is there anyway we can resolve this issue? Maybe slide the smog guys some $$$ lol?

But enough about the story. Now on to the good stuff. The reason why the truck is so expensive is because the entry drive was rebuilt. No rust, New L20b engine (built by a guy name Dave Buchanan in NorCal) new clutch, new pumps, radiator, battery, ect. And the majority of the engine plus extra parts underneath the hood were chromed out. All parts are basically new and with 0 miles on them. The only thing that's wrong really is that the interior needs some love and one important thing, It won't start. The trucks been sitting still for about 5 years and all the parts were installed about 5 years ago. Frank said he got it to start and run right before his heart attack so that's good.

Every other day I would stop by his house to work on the truck with him to get it up and running. So far we're at the point where we think we know that's the problem. The truck will crank and wants to start as we hit it with starter fluid but the engine won't stay running. The truck wants to start but no fuel to feed the beast. At first we we thought the old fuel was jello so we tried to siphon the old fuel out, but nothing came out. So we added fuel about maybe 1/2 gal. Then we tried again, still no go. We suspect the fuel line might be clogged, I tried blowing into the line itself and it didn't allow me to (restricted air flow). We checked the fuel pump just to make sure it was still good (as it should be because I was barely touch) and it was good. Tomorrow I will visit again and with a metal wire. We are planing on clearing the lines with the wire to see if it'll unclog it.

I'm writing this on my iphone and it's not allowing me to post any pictures but I will post some ASAP thanks for reading!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic