Looking for 620 advice

rollinsrods

I currently have a 1976 620 that I'm building up. I plan on it being a 4 wheel disc, KA24de 5spd. Would it be best to get a later model 620 with discs up front and a factory 5 speed and build up that frame and swap my cab and bed over after I've done the swaps or should I just build up what I have now?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No sense getting a later 5 speed as you'll be replacing it with the KA 5 speed anyway. The later disc brake 620s are easier to upgrade the front brakes on. I wouldn't worry about the rears. Drums are more than enough and discs are just for show. I don't care for king pins is all.

Jeff did this very thing with his 620. You should PM him & ask his advice/opinion on things he'd do different the second time around.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/55161-throwback-lilhustler/

I currently have a 1976 620 that I'm building up. I plan on it being a 4 wheel disc, KA24de 5spd. Would it be best to get a later model 620 with discs up front and a factory 5 speed and build up that frame and swap my cab and bed over after I've done the swaps or should I just build up what I have now?

Handbrake is usually better and more reliable on drums and drums are better protected from the weather. Shoes also take longer to wear as there is far more surface area than pads have. Main advantage of discs is that they auto adjust for wear, but a few clicks on the starwheels every 6 or 12 months is not hard.

I have found however that some alloy wheels do not like the shape of the drums on Datsun trucks, the drums prevent the centre of the wheel contacting the area where the wheel nuts are, which can mean the wheel bends and does not tighten correctly and is potentially dangerous. A thin spacer can help if its only slightly out but you run out of wheel stud and arch clearance if you have to space out too much.