head question

red13

For some reason couldn't find the info I needed.  So I'am getting the engine to my 73 620 done and i'm keeping the l16 stock.  Well I got another l16 motor cause my block was pretty beat.  I had a l20b head on it after my head had a valve seat jam a valve open.  After I put this on I drove it just fine, but i dont know if its from the head or what, but I was getting oil in the water.  no water was in the oil.  Anyways I got another l16 head since I lost mine, but its been beat to much and I need another head.  If all else fails can I put a l20b head on my l16 thanks?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

one heads at the shop said 219 i beleive and the other was a w58.  The head gasket was replaced a couple of times I had warped the head and had it shaved.  So can A l20b head go on a l16?  Since l16 head is a little hard to find for a good price.

Any L20B head (U67 or W58) will drop an L16's compression to 6.72 which is horrible. Get the proper 210 L16 head. Make sure the head is flat and not warped. Head and block surfaces must be spotlessly clean. Clean threaded holes and the bolts Torque the bolts from the center out to the ends

R A D

Torque to 20 ft lbs, then 40 and finally to 60 ft lbs in three sequences.

The 219 head isn't as bad but the compression is still lower at 8.21

• Like 1

Place an ad here... http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/category/4-engine/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc Most Datsun owners never throw their parts away. Bet there are 50 members in Cali with an L16 head in the back.

now would it matter then which pistons I use.  I know the compression are based on stock dished ones, but I wanted to run these from a 240z.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ITM-Engine-Components-RY6335-020-Piston-With-Rings-/261499165415?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce2909ae7&vxp=mtr

OK, I have a feeling that the head that you said was leaking OIL into the water/radiator is a 210 head, it is not a common issue, but it is an issue that no matter how much money or time you put into the head, you will never be able to fix it, you see the head cracks on the inside, at least that is what Dan Hart, a Datsun mechanic told me, he has worked on Datsuns for years.

You see he had this 210 head that would not stop leaking oil into the water jacket, he finally gave up, bought another head for the engine, he then sliced that head like a loaf of bread till he found the crack, I know this because one day I was talking to him and told him about this head I had that was doing what you described, he told me to scrap it.

The only head that I have heard of doing this was a 210 head, I have never heard of any other head casting leaking oil into the water, it's always water into the oil.

Now I am not saying that I am absolutely right about this, but circumstantial evidence points to this as the problem, now if you were telling me that your radiator water was smelling like exhaust..............  

now would it matter then which pistons I use.  I know the compression are based on stock dished ones, but I wanted to run these from a 240z.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ITM-Engine-Components-RY6335-020-Piston-With-Rings-/261499165415?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce2909ae7&vxp=mtr

L24 pistons will fit the L16 as long as the block bores are not tapered or worn out. Then it will need to be bores to the next oversize. Compression would be ...

9.75 with 210 head

9.29 with closed chamber

8.63 with an open chamber head (U67 / W58)