maybe getting a 1971

jafcorrea

Hi all, my name is George and maybe I going to be a new owner, my good neighbor passED way a week ago, his wife wants to give me his truck, is a 1971 4sp (98K ... I think).

I am a BMW kind of guy, but this beautiful little truck is really growing on me.

I am doing some research about, brakes upgrades,suspension, rims/tires combo, and my favor engine/transmission swaps, but in this matter I need more info,

what is the best donor for EASY engine and automatic transmission swap ???

can I do something from:

Toyota, Nissan or Honda? looking for a 4 cylinder EASY swap something around 100 to 150 hp,

I am planning to use this truck for my daily commute, Pinole to San Francisco around 55 miles 5 times a week.

Thanks all in advance for the help, and I will be posting pics and more question soon.

George

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless handicapped, learn to drive a 4 speed and save the bother of a transplant.

If you just have to have an automatic one from a '68-'73 510 or a '73 620 truck will bolt right onto your '71 motor.

The L20B engine is almost 100hp and physically the same as the L16 you have. I had a '71 521 back in the day and put an L20B into it and even used the old 4 speed. This is about the easiest upgrade there is.

Changing to another series engine will involve a longer transmission, auto or 5 speed and there will be modifications, welding and fabricating. Engine mounts, different rad, probably it will have EFI and all the electronic wiring to connect, high pressure fuel pump, oil pan clearances, shortening drive shaft, exhaust pipe. This may be over your head and will take a running truck off the road... often permanently.

I would just drive it and enjoy it for now.

• Like 1

id keep it stock and just swap the 3rd member if youre going to be commuting I commute from Newark to alameda everyday in mine and the 3.90 is a huge improvement on the freeway

The 4.375 rear end is designed to pull the truck away from a stop, up hill and with a load. For empty commuting a 3.889 or 3.70 would work just fine and get a slightly better mileage.

thanks all, for know I am okay driving a 4sp, but after finishing this project my lady definitely wants to drive at this time I need to do the engine (may be) and auto transmission swap (for sure), no matter how many times I try to teach her how to drive a stick shift,she cannot do it  :confused: 

I have taught many people how to drive a stick...and this is how I taught my sister. 

My little sister had tried many of times in other people's cars to learn how to do drive a manual. 

The owners would be right there in the passenger seat giving their advice and offering help. 

BUT-like most vehicle owners, they all cringed when a mistake was made, causling nerves. 

BZZZZZZZZ! WRONG!

I told my sister to ride the bus to the dealership I was working at. We had a '99 Jetta GL 5 speed on the lot. 

Talked to the managers and they said I could borrow it for the night. 

Sister showed up. We left work in the Jetta. 

I stopped at the store for a pack of smokes and a bottle of beer in a bag. 

I drove her to a big industrial park not far from my house. 

Complex was empty. Plenty of road. Lots of speed bumps. Plenty of challenges for a rookie. 

I got out of the car and started walking away. "What are you doing?" she yells out. 

"I'm going home. Meet me back at my place and we'll go out to dinner." 

45 minutes later she was knocking at my door, shit-eatin grin. 

She drove it that whole night while we were together. Drove it 40 miles back to her place. 

Perfect. No nerves. No stress. No fear of fucking up a friend's car. 

2 days later she bought the car and I got 100% of the commission. 

Your waisting you time doing a auto swap.Trust me!!!!!!!!!!!! after a couple weeks SHE wont drive a old truck anyways.

You know how many times I seen this? lots build truck for rtheir kids But they want the new FI cars turn key and go. No pulling the choke and smelly carb.

Just keep it the way it is. Most autos out there for 521s now are JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't ruin a cool little rig. Most never get completed

I bike a minimum 2,600 miles a year and that's just to work. I like biking and my wife wanted to share the experience with me. So I collected wheels and frame spent hours sanding and painting that frame and adding the handle bars crank wheels brakes... She rode it about 5 miles. I blame myself for this. If your wife cared for that 521, even a bit, she would be a member here already.  It's not her fault it will be yours if you do this. Enjoy it as it was intended. If Datsuns were intended for everyone they would have come with PS / PB air con, PW, ABS automatic, heated seats and mirrors, and navigation. Thank god they don't.