Enlighten me on z motors

Hey a budy of mine may have a z motor outa a 200. I dont know what size yet but i looked up hp spec for a 24 and it sead 103 to 106 depending on year. Is theis a better motor then my L16 same or is making a low budget lz motor better? Ive tryed to search but didnt find the info. And will this bolt z block bolt up to my tranny?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of a 200sx????? They only came with Z20E '80-'81 and Z22E '82-'83. Both are fuel injection and both will not properly bolt up to your L16 transmission.

The Z20E is basically an L20B with a different style head on it.

If a Z22E, then with some L20B parts you could make it into a 2.2 liter L series motor.

Find out what Z series motor it is.

Internet doesnt like me haha i have the hardest time finding things. Thats why i go on forums and ask people that have done this or know about it. I have spent time searching even on this search engine and im not finding the info i want.

I did read up a bit about the z motors and they sead their very simlar to the L motors. The head they changed to lower emisions by puting the intake in the other side. I started reading up on a guys build but it was drawn out too much.

I was told by a guy on fb to put my head on a z block. Thats why im interested in this. But at the same time i dont understand cause the write up on the motor doesnt sound too impresive.

This is totally crazy. None of that is right.

If you want a bigger engine than a 1.6 liter, swap in a larger engine. There is no need to swap heads or build a hybrid L+Z engine.

It is less about the peak HP ratings and more about the fact that ITS A BIGGER ENGINE.

Well the L18 and L20B are close to a drop in but it becomes much more complex with anything larger such as a KA because they are EFI and all the issues associated with this swap such as replacing transmission, fuel pump, drive shaft shortening, mounts and cross member, rad. Not something fora beginner.

This leaves converting a larger Z series motor into an L series...  making it a hybrid.  This will fit easier and be larger.

No fatcat i have a L16 out of a 510 and my budy may have a z motor.

And ggzilla i know its a bigger motor.....

Ya it is alot of work to swap a ka in datzenmike. Dont forget the wiring haha. Its a mess when its in a s13. I just couldnt understand why this guy on the ratsuns fb page would tell me to swap the head... i do like my L its simple and one day i may get a few more ponys out of her but for now i gotta get her running and body work done. When i hear about something i try to look it up as much as i can. When i cant find the info im lookong for i go to people i know should have the awnsers or at least point me in the right direction with out being dicks.

Datzenmike and i have had this talk before hes explained the search engine to me and i am geting better with it.

The L16/18/L20b/Z20/Z22/Z24 (even the KA) are all the same bolt pattern to the transmission, however they are mounted with different lean or tilt in the engine bay and so the L and Z transmission bolt patterns are 'clocked' differently. L and Z transmissions can't be swapped but the Z engine can be 'converted' into an L series by swapping head, oil pan, mounts and timing gear and then it will mount to an L transmission. This is a very simplified description but easier than swapping to a KA or other large displacement motor.  

I just couldnt understand why this guy on the ratsuns fb page would tell me to swap the head...

Because:

1. It's fb, not the real Ratsun. On fb generally talk is fast and cheap.

2. By combining the larger engine (Z-series) with the best head (L-series), it makes a superior engine. BUT ... which head is crucial. Most L heads will be wrong for a big displacement engine. A Z22 or Z24 with its own stock head will run well for sure - and likely better than a random combination of L and Z parts.

The best L+Z hybrids are a classic hotrod motor build -- bigger engine + carefully chosen components = great engine. Guys tend to forget that and think it is simply a magic combination. Its more than just swapping the cylinder head.

By the sounds of it id rather put the work into swapin a ka instead. But i like my L16 for now. I would like to get a little more hp outa my motor like 110hp or so but like i sead i have alot of work to do. Ill find out the head numbers tho just so i know what i have. Im sure its not a peanut head (i wish!).

And datzenmike im giving you the kingrat award for always being helpful when ever ive need help in questions ive asked and always steering me in the right direction. Good job sir :-D

the 219 is only good for the L16. more power is going to come from an engine swap

Rubbish! Good on any 4 cylinder L series. On the L16 it does drop the compression slightly unless it also includes the SSS pistons. It (the 219 head) has monster size valves and ports for extreme RPM breathing.

On an L18 the compression jumps to 9. On an L20b it jumps to 8.9. The benefits of a closed chamber head are best realized if you also have flattop pistons. Any dish defeats the purpose some.

Now you're talking. Larger displacement always makes more power with same equipment added. Fits where ever an L16 would fit, although the L16 transmission is becoming a little light for handling this. Simple carburetor engine.